What's new

PS3's now meeting demand (1 Viewer)

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis

Once again my point is you want to upgrade for better features or compatability which is not the same as being forced to upgrade.:P
I'm not saying MS is perfect. I'm still mad at them for not making a mobile version of Money 2007.

PerryD

Supporting Actor

I think the Sega Dreamcast is the fastest console to sell 1 million units, took around 1 week if I remember correctly.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Nope. When your JOB relies on it, it's not want, it's being forced (unless you think that people "want" unemployment).

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Yep. Just what we need. 10 different OS's from 10 companies running the corporate world so no one can talk to one another. Bottom line is, for almost all apps, MS just won the fight.

Netware owned the networking world 10 - 15 years ago and lost it to MS do to there own internal problems.

IBM had a hold on the high end OS with OS2 and Wrap, but lost it to MS do to there own issues.

Lotus and Wordperfect, and before that, Wordstar owned the Application Suite industry until MS beat them at their own game.

Internet Explorer was far far distant second but it beat out the competitors.

Apple had a hugh foothold into the corporate world and lost it entirely on their own. They did not require any help from MS to do it.

We can go on forever. You can not blame MS for doing a better job than the competitors.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I read that 400,000 playstation 3's were shipped a few weeks ago or a week ago. Maybe the stores got them in. I do part time work with our local high school, and many of the students already have or will by the playstation 3 in the next few months, many are saving their money for it. I don't think the playstations Jason saw were "gathering dust." They probably just came in. There's not one to be had in my entire area and my friend at Best Buy says they have a waiting list of hundreds of names, and they are sold out within hours of shipment arrival..

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
My quest for PS3 last night; Went to Best Buy and they said they had just got a shipment in and had about 30 60Gs. There was only one out on the floor, they had to go in the back and look. I wanted a 20G so pressed on.

Stopped in at a Target and they had a 20G. Unfortunately, after I got it home it was apparent that it was a return. Called Target up and told them to find me an unopened 20G. The handful they had were all returns so they will call. They said they have had several returns... their theory was people unsuccsessfully turning a profit were returning them.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

While I agree that MS has won the computer battle as far as being the dominant force with over 95% of the market for a number of reasons (and many of which have nothing to do with the merits of the various operating systems because we're all familiar with examples where the "best" technology doesn't necessarily win) this Apple/MS banter is really quite far afield from a topic that is entitled "PS3's gathering dust???" and I suggest we get back to the question at hand.

For the record, I worked with computers for many decades and lived through all the format wars in that realm so this is old hat to me and, quite frankly, off topic. I'm a big supporter of both companies for different reasons. Interestingly, to me the most significant thing to come out of MacWorld so far is not the iPhone nor iTV or whatever. It is the fact that Jobs has changed the name from Apple Computers, Inc. to just plain Apple, Inc. He is fully aware that his maximum ability to compete (and perhaps dominate) lies in all the wonderful consumer electronics products that Apple has developed. The iPod rules that segment and the iPhone shows great promise in that area as well.

Not only do I own several iPods but I strongly support them. But in computers I'm in the PC camp since I realize that most mainstream things involve PCs. (No "will not work on a Mac") problems for me. Yes, I understand that Macs will now run WinXP to some extent but why confuse the issue? I don't see too many PCs trying to run OS X. (It kind of reminds me of the early days of computer printers where almost every other company had an "HP emulation mode." I solved that by buying HP printers in those days.)

Does that make me two faced? Of course not. I just look for what's best for my situation in all aspects of consumer electronics and computers. I've encountered great products (and a couple of real "bombs") from both major players. The public will vote with their pocketbooks and it's fairly clear who's got market share in most areas.

In the meantime, we were talking about PS3s here, right? You now will be returned to your regular programming.

;)

PerryD

Supporting Actor

Just an FYI though, I was wishy-washy about which unit to get, the main draw for me was the wi-fi, although I could have run an ethernet to my router relatively painlessly.

But what I didn't realize was all of the free demos that are available to download from Sony's online store. Most of these demos are 500MB to nearly 1GB each in size. The first day or so, I already had filled 15GB of my 55GB. With the 20GB, I would only have 3 or 4 Gigs free, and would be thinking about what I needed to delete. The extra space can also be used to store photos and videos.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
What's nice about the 20gig is that you can save $500, purchase a 120gig HD for under $100 and now you have a 120gig PS3 for the same price as the 60gig. Of course, no built in wireless or memorycard readers. There's lots of options for people no matter what their situation which is quite nice.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
The memory card reader is not an issue, you can plug in a multi-card reader into one of the 4 usb ports... For me, $100 for the Wi-Fi was justifiable...

I havent read up on it, but I think you can plug in an external usb hard drive too...

Too bad Sony didnt put any usb ports in the back, if you go with the usb options then you will have ugly wires hanging off the front of the PS3..

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
You can also hook up a USB wireless network card as well. I've been impressed with what the PS3 will recognise on USB. I agree that they should have put a couple ports on the back. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up and it would be nice to have the wireless receiver placed in the back with no wires showing. I think I'm going to hook up a USB hub and have the wire tucked underneith the PS3 and to the back.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
A lot of PS3s are sitting on the shelves in this area. I think the reason for the PS3 craziness was almost 80% eBay profit dreams at this point. It will be very interesting to see how the PS3 fares throughout 2007. I have no doubt the PS3 will be a successful platform, but I foresee them having to drop the price for it to really become super-accepted. My friend felt very adamant in November that Sony had priced themselves out of the market with the PS3, and I scoffed. Now I'm starting to wonder....

CES was hugely disappointing for me as an HD-DVD owner, but there was also
disappointment for me as a soon-to-be Blu owner. We got a lot of promises of good titles for Blu, but no word on how many will be BD50 and feature-rich, and how many will be BD25 with no features at the bend you over list price of $39.99. I'm now able to locate pretty much any Blu disc I want for $29.99, but that is still a lot to pay for single layer and no features. A public commitment to making BD50 the standard would have alleviated a lot of fear over the $450-$500 I am going to be spending within the next 2-3 months on a player.

I will say this for HD-DVD, their prices and quality are consumer friendly, and they continue to try and broaden their customer base (I can't believe we are gonna have budget Venturer players out there...Venturer!), even with weak software support.

Toshiba seems to understand that the clearest way to victory is mainstream
acceptance and mainstream prices...even to the point of cheapo Chinese players. Blu Ray seems content on trying to cater to the smallest niche, the early adopter, and any gamers they can sway. Toshiba seems to be focussed on winning the war at all costs, while BDA seems content on collecting hefty profit margins (on both hardware and software) from a small customer base.
Both camps have so many glaring problems that while I'm sure one will eventually succeed (and the momentum is on Blu-Ray's side currently), I'm regretting getting invested in this war, yet I still trod on toward buying a BD player (can't help it...I've seen what HD looks like, even on my inky 32" tube, and I must have MORE). Let this be a lesson to anybody on the fence: avoid this war! Sit it out and enjoy your SD discs until a winner emerges.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

And yet reminds again of the Beta vs. VHS war that went on. JVC was content to license out VHS to anyone while Sony was more frugal (I belieive Sanyo was the only other Beta manufacturer) and see what happened despite the superior technology. Not saying that BD is superior mind you...

Ahhh... one who ignores history is doomed to repeat it.

Ali B

Second Unit
I think HDMI is on the 20gig model too - they changed their minds at the last minute and put it back.

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis

I take it your joking???

Since we are talking about PS3's gathering dust. The fact of over 250,000 PS3 units that were left on the shelf is relevant. Unless Sony really didn't deliver the 1 million units they claim by the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks