PS3 Update 1.5 Available

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I assume you are talking about the backwards compatibility issue with respect to PS2 game play? If so, I did read that on the AVS Forum, but I have seen no confirmation elsewhere.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
If they would just fix the aliasing issues I would be very happy. Thats the main reason that I've still held onto my old PS2.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Yes, I'm talking about the Aliasing issue with PS2 games. It has been fixed. I have seen people posting comparison pictures in a couple of forums and there is no longer a difference between the looks of how PS2 games play on the PS3.

Ex. PS2

PS3

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
So I take it that 1.5 doesn't address the scaling problems? If so, then I am slowly joining the ranks of the camp that believes it can't be done by firmware.

Thank goodness I bought the 2 year replacement plan, in case they release a v.2 of the hardware w/ a scaler within the next 2 years...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Carlo,

Do most extended warranties allow you to receive a new rev. of hardware covered by it? I've never heard of that before.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
No they do not. However, if the hardware were to need replacing for anything covered under the warranty, and in 1 1/2-2 years from now the only version available is one with a scaler...well you can figure it out...

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Just thought I would comment that upon watching 'The Searchers' on my v. 1.5 PS3 this afternoon the disc locked up on me 3 times. This didn't happen the last time I watched it, which was v. 1.32 I believe. Take it for what it's worth...but if it was firmware-related, hopefully they'll release another update to fix their fix of what wasn't broken in the first place.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tried 1.5 yesterday and it fixed the crappy appearance of PS2 games on mine, however it does take a few seconds of screen fuzz (snow) when it switches resolution (via HDMI). I watched Kingdom of Heaven BD and had no issues at all.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I've seen mixed feedback on the 1.5 lockup problem. Some people have seen a problem and others don't have any problems at all. I'm starting to wonder if it may be more of an overheating issue?

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
No, I don't think so. I've never had a problem with overheating whatsoever, and my PS3 has plenty of room to ventilate. From what I've been reading online it likely has something to do with the networking changes made in the update. Others have found that disabling networking during BD playback seems to fix the problem. I haven't tried that yet, but next movie I watch I will do so.

Once again, this had never happened to me prior to the v. 1.5 update, and now it has happened again during 'A Christmas Story' which played flawlessly previously also. I'm not worried as there appears to be a temp fix plus I'm sure Sony will fix the problem in another update soon (fingers crossed.)

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
When you say networking changes, do you mean hard-wired or wireless? I ask because I don't have frameskipping, and I connect via ethernet cable. But ever since 1.50 I've wanted to enable my PS3 to connect wireless (hey I paid the extra cent-note for the 60GB version so why not?), but if that could potentially mess up BD playback, I'll just leave it on ethernet cable.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have mine connected wirelessly and I haven't had any issues so far, however 1.5 did require me to redo the wireless setup (actually seems better now). I originally had to update to 1.32 just to get the wireless to work.

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr

All I can say to you is try it. You can always go back to ethernet if you have trouble, or just disable the wireless before you watch a movie...it's not like having it on is going to improve the playback of the film anyhow (though I admit it's a pain). The only problem I've had is the BD playback freezing for like 5-10 seconds and then resuming play, and that only occurs 2-3 times during the entire length of the film. Annoying, yes...but something I can live with knowing it will eventually be fixed for good (fingers crossed).

The update apparently changed the options available for wirelessly connecting...dunno about any ethernet issues.

If I hadn't already updated to v. 1.5, and especially if I wasn't playing any PS2 games and didn't require the networking updates in order to connect, I would stay at v. 1.32 for awhile until the issue is sorted out.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Just noticed 1.51 is available. Since I didn't see the lock up issue before I'm not sure if this update fixes that problem... but I have a good hunch it does.
Sony's update sight doesn't say anything helpful (at least from what I can tell) about what this update entails but I would be very surprised if it didn't address the playback issue.

Chris T. Kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
Guys -

I don't own a PS3 (yet). I am considering it for various reasons which I will not go into. Since I do not own one and don't know anyone within driving distance that has one, I have not dealt with flashing the firmware on a PS3.

However, let me ask a few questions and offer the slim possibility of help to those having problems.

Is there any sort of "1st time setup" or "load default options" for the PS3? It is standard procedure that when you upgrade a BIOS on a computer's motherboard that you load default settings into the BIOS and then go through and change all of your settings to the settings you desire.

Not everyone does this, and plenty of people can continue to have a perfectly operational computer without having executed that standard procedure.

However, the reason I point this out is because - hey - it might yield another option for those of you who upgraded to 1.5 and are experiencing problems. So long as the procedure doesn't include wiping your hard drive, it should be a fairly easy yet potentially semi-time consuming option which would help relieve some problems.

For all I know, the PS3 forces this upon a firmware upgrade. However if Sony does not & the PS3 has an option to "load defaults" exists, I suggest you give it a try.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco