What's new

PS3 Sounds compressed through Fiberoptic-out. (1 Viewer)

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
I hooked it up last week and I've not been able to figure out why it sounds compressed when I compare it to my old DVD player using coaxdigital out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rogo

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
You neglected to mention whether you were outputting LPCM or one of the lossy soundtrack formats (e.g. DTS, Dolby Digital). If you select an LPCM lossless soundtrack (or Dolby TrueHD I guess) make sure your A/V settings on the PS3 are set to "PCM". If you do this via toslink you will only be getting 2-channel stereo, but if your receiver applies ProLogic II it can sound pretty good. More than likely you will be listening to a lossy track though, in which case make sure the PS3 is set to "bitstream" and let your receiver do the decoding. Otherwise, if you let the PS3 do the decoding by selecting "PCM", you will only be getting a 2-channel stereo representation of a 5.1 lossy track (which probably wouldn't sound too great.)

Bottom line...you are probably going to want to listen to DTS or DD 5.1, and you want the PS3 set to "bitstream" (in order to have the receiver do the decoding). That will give you closest to what you had with DVD audio via coax.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Craig for the feedback. I do have it set to output bitstream. I'm in the process of saving some money for a Onkyo 705 (I've a 601 now). I honestly don't know why toslink sounds so crappy compared to coax digital (on this receiver).

Thanks!

Rogo

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What do you mean by "compressed"? Do you maybe have the PS3's dynamic compression turned on?

The other thing is are you comparing SD DVD playback or are you comparing BDs to what you're used to on your old DVD player? If the latter, then which specific titles have you tried that sound bad?

Do you have the latest software update? I'm not sure if anything significant has changed for audio, but if you haven't done a software update, you really should.

How do you have things set up for audio output, besides the bitstream/LPCM setting? There is a separate audio setting (under the main list, not under BD/DVD, IIRC) for you to tell the PS3 what audio formats your receiver can handle -- and the PS3 will downmix/convert accordingly, if a format is not supported. Assuming your receiver can handle both DD and DTS, you should set those -- I forget, but both might be turned off by default -- so the PS3 doesn't downmix/convert to something like PCM 2.0.

_Man_

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I have my PS3 connected to my new Onkyo TX-SR605 via HDMI myself, and let me tell you it sounds just fine! :D You will not be disappointed once you make that upgrade to the 705.

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Man,

Where are these other audio settings on the PS3? I have an Integra 7.8 and a Sony 46" HDTV all hooked up via HDMI. What are the best settings for optimum sound and where are they?

Thanks,

Mitch

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Mitch,

There are "Audio Settings" under the main dropdown list of settings for letting the PS3 know what audio formats your receiver supports. And there are also additional settings (for choosing Bitstream vs LPCM, etc) under the video/BD/DVD dropdown list of settings a few lists further to the right from the main list.

_Man_

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Mine is hooked up via Optical to a Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX Ultra2 receiver and it sounds excellent. Don't know why the OP is having problems.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
Man

I have it setup correctly, I think it's a problem with this receiver.

Thanks all of you (I'll be getting that 705 in a month or so Craig :D) for your replies and help!

Rogo

wally

Second Unit
So is the final answer on this that I can expect the same audio performance through optical (DTS/DD 5.1) from a PS3 than I have from my present Tosh XS34?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I hate when people say "I fixed it" and don't say WHAT fixed it. Other people have the same problems and it's only courteous to share the information that helped you on the forum where you came looking for help.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
It wasn't the PS3-it was user error. I apologize for not placing that in the post.

The optical1 input was set for 'last know valid' and it was defaulting to stereo rather than surround.

Rogo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks