What's new

PS3 Shipment Number in Doubt (1 Viewer)

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Does it surprise me?

No.

Is that monumentally bad?

Yes. A rare console ticks off both consumers and developers. Developers then settle for porting titles rather than creating exclusives, since the installed base doesn't justify exclusives, which in turn makes more consumers look at other consoles that do have exclusives.

Going with Cell was a mistake, it's too specialized, it has too few other uses to ramp up volume sufficiently high for yields to not be a problem. Once they get passed the Blue Diode issue they're gonna bang their heads on Cell's yields.

Plus, MS and Tosh can keep the diode issue going for awhile by pushing HD-DVD players and aquiring production, leaving Sony to fight it's "Partners" in BR for supply, making for more ill will.

Does not bode well IMO, short supply of PS3's and BR Players makes this a one-sided battle for longer than Sony can afford it to be.

Brian-W

Screenwriter

And Sony/MS/Nintendo can turn down those titles preventing them from ever being published.

Every title requires approval, and it's a laborious process with many being outright rejected for a variety of reasons.

A publisher/developer can't just 'develop' whatever they want and sell it. It must be approved by the console manufacturer.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

My initial post had nothing to do with Sony's right to reject a property, but rather the devopers decision to produce or not produce a title for the console.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Sorry, didn't see em. Late night last night. Working too many hours so I can buy all of these HD goodies.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
The shipment numbers were debunked back in April...The article is trying to imply that this is new information...It's not. Sony is screwing up by trying to rush to market.

400,000 units will ship to the US Nov 17...what happens after that remains to be seen...
I still believe there are a lot mor eto be had and Sony is trying to make this seem like the demand far outweighs the supply, thus making it a "must have"

If the numbers are indeed that low, I thinkSony can single handedly bring Blu-Ray down with it...

thoughts?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I doubt that they will make the 400k number the day of release, and I personally don't believe that Sony is hyping the release problems to create a higher demand. The delays and shortages have hit them too hard in the market to extend it on. If they were able to deliver more, I believe they would be announcing it.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
They're going for the Cartmanland approach. :)

So now it might not be anything new at all? Not that long til we know for sure. Judging by the low percentage of people here who have adopted either format, I think it's far too early to say that late-shipping PS3's will kill Blu-Ray. PS3 will help it, that's for sure, no matter when it hits, and if they have some units out by Christmas (which I'm sure is high priority) that's a big boost.

Travis

Second Unit
Another depressing bit of info for those hoping to pick one up. Stores are allowing employees to purchase the consoles. With the average store probably getting less than 10, I highly doubt there will be many left over for the public.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I doubt that the release of the PS3 will have any effect of BD positioning this year, but next year is another matter entirely. It will take that long for the studios to see if the BD drive in a game system has a large impact on DB movie sales. They will need to examine months of data, as any data from the first few weeks will be invalid. There should be an initial spike in BD movie sales, as purchasers of the PS3 test out their new toy, but only time will tell if that is sustainable. It will be interesting to watch.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Also, I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart and Best Buy (and other major chains) aren't letting employees buy any at all. They didn't for the X-Box 360. I know that each Gamestop/EB Games is getting 2 for employees only, but I'm betting other stores won't do that for employees.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Always two there are. No more...no less.

Sorry; couldn't resist.:)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

Best Buy didn't restrict employee purchases on 360's until the second shipment. This is the same thing that it appears will be happening with the PS3 and the Wii release. They don't get any preferential treatment, though. They'll have to wait in line like everyone else.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
If they have to wait in line like everyone else, that is a restriction. Otherwise they could just pull one off the pallet when it arrives and "reserve" if for themselves.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

Yeah, that's what I meant. Employees won't be able to just pick one up right off the truck if their store runs things correctly.

JackKay

Second Unit
Employees are people too. If each store lets 2 take them, then thats two more out there. No difference.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

For what it is worth, I just visited my local BB this evening, and while talking to them about the release of the Pioneer BD player (they had a demo on display and running. It was sweet) the sale person told me they had some info on the PS III, and it was probably going to miss it's projected release number. In addition, they were lead to believe that many of the BD features would not be available on the release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks