What's new

PS3 Scam????? (1 Viewer)

tls36

Agent
Real Name
Tom
Having waited for the price of the 80GB unit to drop, I just purchased a new 80GB PS3. I wanted this unit as according to Sony's Website, only the 80GB will play PS2 games as well. What a nasty surprise to find that it will not play PS2 games! Is there some type of firm ware I need to down load to allow it to play older games or am I screwed? Anyone else with this "exciting" sitiuation???:cool:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They stopped selling the 80GB one that plays PS2 games in August. You won't be able to play PS2 games on your PS3. That's why it was $100 cheaper than the previous 80 GB model. There was some other functionality removed, too.

tls36

Agent
Real Name
Tom
What a screwing!!!!! I feel so violated by the evil SONY empire...............I digress, doesn't seem right to misrepresent like that though!!

tls36

Agent
Real Name
Tom
I am slowly learning that Blu-Ray players are internally decoding Dolby True HD but not outputting it yet thru the HDMI according to a knowledgeable source. What is the word??

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
Why not send the unit back and demand your money back if you're so angry. My unit (60GB from 2007), has full backward compatibility, but honestly, you'll never use it. I was adamant about having this so i can play my PS2 games, and I only tried them once.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That depends. I play PS2 (and even PS1!) games on my PS3 all the time.

Well, to be accurate, I don't play that many games to begin with, but a lot of the few I do play are PS2 games (especially racing and monster truck games that I play with my son).

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Indeed. Forums, gaming sites and also this particular forum are FULL of PS3 info (=newer models DO NOT support PS2 games or SACD, and they´re missing memory card-slots and 2 additional USB-ports). Just like new (upcoming) Nintendo DS (DSi) won´t support older "Game Boy Advance"-games anymore.

You can check e.g. PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have also the "first" PS3-model (60gb) with full PS2-support, but I hardly never used it (PS2 games, I mean). I can always hook up my old PS2 for that (which I have done with some of my Buzz!-games, when I take it with me to my friends).

Sure, the lack of PS2-support is not very ideal, but it´s not that you can´t live with that.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I have a PS3 and I don't even think about playing PS2 games.
The only game that I should have played before getting a PS3 was God of War 2. I just hope I'm not lost that much in story line details when I play God of War 3.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm more concerned that if anything happens to my legacy PS3, I won't be able to have a convenient SACD player anymore.

tls36

Agent
Real Name
Tom
All good points and I do have a old PS2, its just that Sony's site is misleading. Once you see how good the new games are you don't miss the old ones as much. Anyone try Modern Warfare on PS3??

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yes, CoD4 looks/plays amazing. Only 1 problem: if you want to play it in 1080p, you need to turn off all other video output settings on your console to force 1080p out. Note that this doesn't work on every PS3 game and is unique to CoD4.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

If I recall, "CoD4" is in 720p (can´t fully confirm at the moment, though). IMO, just play it with that resolution. Some games (same thing with 360) are in 720p and some in 1080p.

Edit: I guess the "native/base resolution" is actually slightly less than 720p in "real life"...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php...d=88461&page=1

"Both versions (PS3/Xbox 360) are also operating at a sub-HD resolution - 1024x600 to be precise - but the scaling up to both 720p and indeed 1080p looks decent enough thanks to anti-aliasing being present on the base image."

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I don't know when you last visited the Sony site but given that the current PS3 80 GB model has been out for at least a few months (IIRC), I doubt that the info shown in the following link was just only recently updated:

PS3 80 GB (no PS2-compatibility model)

Take note of the sentence highlighted in red; given that--how exactly is the site "misleading", to the point that you incorrectly assumed that the PS3 you purchased had the PS2 compatibility...let alone claim that this issue is a "scam"? The only thing I can think of is that you probably visited the site quite some time before the newer 80 GB model was released--otherwise there is no way you could not have discovered that the current version was not PS2-compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks