What's new

PS3 reviews... looking forward to some hands-on comments... (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
as soon as any of you get a hold of it, please, share your impressions with the rest of us! Obviously, your evaluations of the movie-playback functionality/performance is key.

-dave :)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Just a pre-impression, but I'm dissapointed that the only official remote control for the thing is a Bluetooth remote. Makes me have to use another remote control rather than programming codes into my current universal remote.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I hadn't seen the remote thing. not that it'll make a difference to me, but that is a bummer. It wont be long though before someone comes up with a converter for it....

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I think that as Bluetooth gets bigger, we will start to see more home audio video components drop IR and go for bluetooth. Maybe we will see Harmony remotes with all three remote types, IR, RF, and Bluetooth.:D

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I am not sure about this. Bluetooth has a very limited range, and has difficulty if any structure is between the sending and recieving device. I think this might be a negative, not a positive when compared to a good RF device.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
All Bluetooth devices are RF, but yes, they do have limited range.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Correct...Bluetooth is RF.

And range isn't a problem.

Bluetooth 1.2 has a range of 10 meters. Bluetooth 2.0, which is vailable on most newer devices, has a range of up to 100 meters.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
I'm terribly slow but I thought the PS3 was equipped with component video. Am I wrong in saying that it only has HDMI 1.3 and regular A/V outputs on it?

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
It has the same Playstation type output that the PS2 has.

All your PS2 cords will work with the PS3, including the Component cable.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Mike,

Thanks for the answer. I had forgot that the component cables used for consoles were different than standalone DVD players.

Just a brain fart on my part.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Curse those breakout cables!:)

I still remember ordering the S-Video version for my Nintendo 64. And I don't remember if the Gamecube came with the component cables or not. (Those bastards never did deliver on the digital sound upgrade. So many things I was initially excited about pertaining to the Gamecube ended up dropping off the console. No wonder Nintendo's decided to go a new direction now.)

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
10 meters is a little less than 33 feet, and if you have structure between receiver and transmitter you often never get full range. Because of this Bluetooth 1.2 is a limiting RF technology for a remote control device IMO.

Does anyone know if the the PS3 is using 2.0?

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
True, but even if you cut it's full range in half due to obstructions and/or interferance, how many of us require more than 10 to 15 feet for this purpose?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, because the two main advantages of using RF instead of IR in a remote control are range and not requiring line-of-sight to operate. But Sony *is* using 2.0 in the PS3 so the limitations of 1.2 are moot in this case.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I've used Blutooth in my Home Theater room and there is more to it than just distance and walls. Electronic interference will severely limit it's capabilities as well. I don't know many HT's that don't have a lot of that. If it becomes a big problem, Sony will do something about it. They wont let sales suffer because they wanted to use cutting edge technology in their remote control...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Is the PS3 Bluetooth remote required for DVD/BD playback or just a nice to have? The way I've heard it discussed it seems as though everyone absolutely must have one.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Who's?
No anonymous quoting, please! And please provide a link!

(And remember this is the Owners Forum!)

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks