PS3 Pre-Orders Sell Out in Minutes

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Got to mine 15 minutes before the store opened, no one in line. Called up my boss who came down and we were number 1 and 2. 3 others showed up by the time it opened.

After calling around it seems that the rest have all sold out as well. No one seemed to know this particular EB existed.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Each store was alotted 2 for their employees. Most store employees took advantage of that but there were a couple where no employee bought one and so they went to customers.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Of course, there are some (Unconfirmed) reports that the employees not only bought their two before the stores opened, but then used their friend's information to clear out the rest before the doors opened. Could be fud, could be true.

Regardless, with only 400,000u (Is that right?) for America, I doubt very highly each store will have 8-16u for sale. Plus, other reports are coming in that the Employees are estimating the number more like 4-5 per/store.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Does that mean you got your pre-order or you got your PS3? If you have the actual player... tell us about it!

dave

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

The numbers will not be known until well into next year, but with all of the production problems Sony has had, and if it follows normal Game Console releases, it will probably be about half of the numbers they stated they would have.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Looks like I'll be waiting in line at Best Buy/Circuit City with the vast majority of the public. Should be an "interesting" time...

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Preorder of course.
We'll all have to wait until the 17th of Nov until the beast is in the hands.....umm you know what I mean.

I think EB/Gamestop are playing it very safe this time around, especially after the fiasco that was the X360 launch. Their preorder numbers seem right in line with that. There's what, something like 5000 stores and if each one got 16 (which they aren't, some are only alotted 8) that is only 80,000 total. That's believable.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know a guy who works at Best Buy that says that they're only getting 10 a store. Obviously, you should take that number as a rumor but it seems more likely to me now that I'm hearing what EB is getting.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I think they playing it safe, so maybe they will be able to pull out more units

See what happend with BD50, from no disk this year, up to mayb 16 BD50movies this year........ so I think they will be able to put up to 2mil. before the end of the year...., but of course they show bigger numbers, and deliver half of them..... we will see later.....

but I think, for next half or whole year, they will sell each PS3 they produce

Marek

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
My local Targets and Best Buys have told me anywhere from 20 to 40 units, first-come first serve, on launch day. Again, this is for a major metro area, so YMMV.

James St

Supporting Actor
My store got 16 and I was 10th so unless they get screwed on their launch shipment then I'll have one on the 17th. Online pre-orders will start sometime this week but will be bundles only. No info on the bundle details but you can expect to pay close to $1,000 according to the store manager.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Is this thread really necessary, considering there's already an existing thread in the Video Game Hardware section, and this one has nothing to do with the PS3's Blu Ray capabilities.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Just like MS with their 360, every unit made will be sold. I think it is wishful thinking to believe that the problems surrounding production of the Diodes and the high defective rate of the Cell processors will be resolved any time soon.

I believe the release numbers are just so much hype, the same as MS hyped numbers at their release.

I am not sure how one can compare the 50 GB release to Sony's ability to push out PS3. Different issues, different problems.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Weren't most of the pre-orders sold with no guarantee that they would be fullfilled on release day?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo