PS3 or Xbox 2 specs?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BrianEK, Jan 22, 2004.

1. BrianEK

BrianEK Stunt Coordinator

does anyone have any info on specs of these next next gen systems? i know there isn't really any official info on them yet, but I can't help but wonder. Will these both be totally HD? and will they be in widescreen, so people with WS tv's don't have to squish the games??? Just curious, if anyone has their own opinion, or official/rumored specs, let me know.

2. Brad_C

Brad_C Auditioning

I do not believe any specs exist to the public at the moment (nor are they finalized anywhere).

Both systems will support HD (Xbox supports it now, don't think the PS2 does) and widescreen (PS2 and Xbox both currently capable). Whether games actually utilize it, it is up to the game developers. Both systems should be more capable of displaying in HD as 720p is a little high for todays hardware to render that at a decent speed.

Rumor has it that Xbox will be a 64bit CPU by IBM, based on the G5 or what ever the Macs use. PS3 should have a hard drive and I will bet the Xbox will again.

'Tis all I know

3. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

The newer systems will probably be powerful enough to handle higher resolutions while having smooth gameplay but I think in the end it will still be up to the developers as to what resolutions the games will support.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

PS2 was released in late (October, I believe) 2000 and the XBox was released a year later. Internal Microsoft memos called for a five year lifespan ("Opening the XBox" by Dean Takahashi, Prima Pub., 2002) and I suspect Sony has a similar 5 year lifespan in mind. So the absolute earliest we would see a new console from Sony would be late 2005.

Since it's hard to keep a secret these days with technology and the internet being so closely married, if they were targeting a release of late '05 we would have surely heard something of it by now.

My guess is that the PS3/XBox2 will debut in mid and late 2006. With the deadline for the country to go "digital" nearing (2007 I believe) it would make sense that both platforms support at least 1080i and 16:9.

Yes, ultimately it is up to the programmers, but I think there will be pressure on them to deliver a product that looks stunning on HDTV. My guess is that with the next generation of consoles, 16:9 and 1080i (or 720p) will be more the norm than the exception.

Just my $.02

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

It was on the radio that there's no chance of Xbox2 or PS3 in 2005.

6. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

The rumor going around now is that Xbox Next will NOT have a built-in hard drive to keep the costs down. But a hard drive will be available as an accessory, supposedly.

And Sony's "Cell" chip which has been touted as the hub of the PS3 isn't even supposed to begin manufacturing until late 2005

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Where was this rumor of XBOX NEXT not having an internal HD? That is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard, no offense. It set a standard that others are looking to copy in the next generation, so why can the feature they helped invent? And keeping costs down is not a good excuse.

8. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

Rumor is Sony will use their new Blu-Ray technology and have it trickle down to the next generation PlayStations. Who knows

jp

9. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

I only said it was a rumor...

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game010204.shtml

X B O X
    - RUMOR: TalkXbox reported that Microsoft's Xbox 2 will not come with a built-in hard drive, however an optional hard drive will be available separately.

The current issue of EGM also has a rumor about this in the QMann section:
    "Current talk yours truly has heard puts the debut of Microsoft's Xbox 2 hardware at the annual Game Developer's Conference in the spring, with more details to surface at May's Electronic Entertainment Expo - especially if Sony and Nintendo are talking about their next machines. The Q has also picked up word on his sensors that for a needed space/cost savings, this time around it will not include a hard drive."

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Actually I'm half way through reading the "Opening the XBox" book and it really shows how much extra the HD adds to the cost. The add-on mentality makes sense, as long as it is readily available I will buy it (unlike the PS2 hard drive which still isn't available). I've been spoiled by my XBox and my lack of need to buy memory cards (and burning songs on there for custom soundtracks).

Even if they charge extra, as long as it's available I'm buying it!