What's new

PS3 news: 2 versions announced (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The article is mostly speculation on the price, but the two-tier system talk has been around for a while now.

The Euro conversion is incorrect in the article. 200 Euros currently net $247. I can't see a new version selling for less than $250-$300. The PS2 at $300 served Sony quite well.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I'm most curious about whether or not the standard version of the PS3 will read pre-recorded Blu-ray movies. I understand it would be expensive but it would definitely help sell the Blu-ray format. Even if it costs Sony a $100 loss for every PS3 to add a Blu-ray drive it would be stupid for Sony not to do it. It would also add to the cost of the PS3 to make those drives be able to play pre-recorded Blu-ray movies since Hollywood will require encryption so secure that it would add at least $50 to the cost of the console.

If Sony does spend the money to make pre-recorded Blu-ray discs readable on the PS3 it would help Blu-ray win the format war with HD-DVD. Sony though will have to be willing to take heavy losses for the PS3, but with royalties and patents on Blu-ray it would be wise for them to take a loss of even $150 per PS3. Is Sony willing to gamble with that kind of loss to promote Blu-ray?

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
This would be a DREAM for retailers! The average profit on a $50 game is $5-8, and sometimes even less on $30 and lower games. A system will net a retailer around $10. The overall cost of theft and inventory expense takes even more out of their profit margin. Retailers would love to use their shelf space to promote things that generate profit: ACCESSORIES. Video game accessories are where the profit is at! Sony's methodology would get rid of the games while keeping the accessories and consoles.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

Which retailers would this be a dream for? I would think that the EB/Gamestop type stores could not compete w/ Best Buy, WalMart, etc if all they ended up selling was systems, accessories, and used games. Foot traffic for the EB/Gamestop stores seems very dependant on new games being released and on the store shelves for people to come in. Foot traffic for Best Buy and WalMart is already a given unfortunately.

Make sense?

Peace,

DM

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks