What's new

PS3 HDMI -> SD TV (1 Viewer)

SamC

Agent
Hi All,

Used to lurk here an awful lot, back when I bought my first (and only) HT setup about 8 years ago. Have now moved countries, so starting from (almost) scratch.

Here's what I have at the moment:
- Phillips 32" 16x9 LCD SDTV (not sure of model - has Component, SCART, VGA and RCA inputs).
- Playstation 3
- Cheap DVD player (w/ component video and digital optical outputs).

I'm looking to get a receiver and speakers to handle Dolby Digital & DTS, plus switching between these (and more) and am going "hunting" over the next week or so.

Something that I've been wondering is:
The PS3 has HDMI output for Audio & Video, and many receivers are doing HDMI Audio & Video switching. Can the receivers take the HDMI signal in and output the display to the Component output? Is this only an option in the upper-end gear? Is it easiest to leave it all running as Component for now, until I get an HD TV?

Cheers,
Sam

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
A receiver will not go HDMI->component. Some will do component->HDMI. However, most HDM players will allow you to display component video and still send HD audio via HDMI, which with the proper receiver (HDMI 1.1 compliant), would allow you to take advantage of the new HD audio formats. I'm not sure if the PS3 allows component video with HDMI audio, but someone else might.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks