PS3 GPU isn't even made yet

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BrionL, May 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

3. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

The point I was trying to make was that what we saw at E3 wasn't actually the real thing since the GPU isn't even finished. I know they were "supposedely" using a NVidia chip but I even question that.

You can probably understand why I doubt anything that comes out of the mouths of Sony when it comes to the Playstation. I remember when the PS2 was released and Sony promised Toy Story like graphics for the system and that never happened.

I will also say that I'm a proud owner of a PS2 and will probably buy a PS3 down the road. It is just that it may take a bit of time for Sony to gain my trust again.

Brion

4. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Microsoft pretty much did the same thing. Want to know what was running all of their Xbox 360 demos? G5 Powermacs.

Here's the story.

Sounds like both Microsoft and Sony don't have any actual hardware to demo just yet.

5. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

I'm glad you posted that Todd. I guess we won't know their full abilities until they are both running at full power using everything that will be in the machines at launch. We'll probably see that within the next few months.

Brion

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Well, in the case of XBox360, we kind of have to see it running at full power within six months or so, don't we?

7. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

BrianB, that is true. I imagine they will do the same thing they did with Xbox 1 which is not show the full power until nearer to launch.

Brion

8. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

No shit? I recall reading they were using the same processors, but figured (as with the PS3 demos) that they would have been using the actual hardware to showcase.

9. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Nope, G5 Macs were used. Created quite a stir, really. [​IMG]

I loved how Microsoft played it off though. "yeah, we used G5s because they truely showcase how the XBox 360 will perform."

Never tried to dodge the bullet.

10. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

11. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

Those G5 cases were actually the Alpha development kits.. supposedly running at ~25-33% of the projected final hardware performance (according to MS & ATI I assume?)

I believe the Alpha kits had dual core G5 CPUs & ATI R300 GPUs, as opposed to the 3 core CPUs and the ATI Xenos GPU chips of the final Xbox 360 hardware. I read that the final beta kits are supposed to ship to most developers until June or July.

Some may already have them though,

12. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Hmm, it is only me that finds this actually good news. MS is just showing that they learned their lesson from the grilling they took the first time they showed the Xbox. The good news is that things will get much better from what we saw. Can't wait to see what the final Xbox hardware is going to do.

For Sony, they stated that what they showed were videos either made to spec or using the game engine. Only time will tell, I hope its true because I want what I saw. Personally I couldn't give a rat’s ass who's the best. Sony, MS, Nintendo...they are all going to be in my living room. As long as the final product delivers, I'll be buying it.