What's new

PS3 games will only work on first console that plays them? (1 Viewer)

Nathan A

Second Unit
I would be absolutely shocked if this was actually implemented. I won't buy a PS3 if it is, but again, I don't at all expect them to do this.

Ben J Loews

Stunt Coordinator
Sony really are fast becoming my most hated company of the moment.
As if they don't make enough profit already, then they have to punish honest gamers & DVD collectors by employing dubious draconion DRM software.

Magnus_M

Stunt Coordinator
I will NOT buy a PS3 should this be true, it sounds like DIVX all over again.
Next-gen gameprices are already too high and not being able to play it at a friend or sell it when I'm done is completely unacceptable.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm sure sony does quite well on licensing and games, but lets be fair. they are going to lose almost $100 on each PS3 sold.

i'm going to buy a PS3, probably no matter what. if it wasnt for GT5, i'd swear off sony forever.

as far as the topic, what could they possibly gain from doing this? i doubt it would ever happen now, with their major fuckup over the rootkit nonsense. even though sony computer entertainment and sony music operate independently, in the public's eye, sony is just one large company. the rootkit business hurt all aspects of sony. and probably rightly so.

CJ

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
This would kill additional revenue for second hand sources like rentals and used game stores. I can't see this actually happening. I won't be shocked if it does, but I think Sony would only hurt themselves by doing this. Taking chances on old games I've picked up used got my interest up for new releases that I decided to pick up brand new.

mike.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Exactly. If they implemented this it would be physically impossible to be able to rent a game. No way in hell this happens.

James T

Screenwriter
I too doubt this will happen. Has Sony forgotten that rental companies also pay for the games so that they can rent it out to customers. That's a big chunk of extra cash that Sony just lost. It doesn't sound like it was fully thought out by Sony.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Given that they just dropped Rootkit due to threats of lawsuits I doubt we'll see this happen.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

I think something like this would be aimed more at Oscar screeners or the like, not consumer products that are highly profitable in the rental sector.

As others have said, the sky is not falling.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

I'm inclined to agree. Speculation on The Inquirer's part is leading the reader to believe that the PS3 would be the beneficiary of this technology, something that Sony hasn't publicly acknowledged or refuted.

On the flip side, I can see why Sony would consider this type of technology. Once a new piece of software is sold, this is the extent of their revenue on that item. I may be wrong, but I don't believe they receive anything on any game that's rented or pre-owned item that is resold.

I'm sure the folks in PR have their hands full with the CD root kit fiasco that's been well-publicized; Sony can't afford a similar (and undoubtedly costlier) mistake if they implemented this on the PS3.

Let's not overreact (at least for now ;) )

Magnus_M

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe not directly but some revenue is made because of this, I might rent a game to test if it's worth buying (which equals a sale that might have been lost had I not rented).

Any company that want to stay in business should now the fact that revenue made on individual items can be lower than revenue made in total.

Lets take an example: I buy 5 games and sell 3 of them, I later buy an additional 5 games (total count now 10 purchases).
The 3 games were sold to a person who at max would have purchased two new games (but now purchased my 3 used and 1 new).
This could indicate that the fact that he opted for one new instead of two means one lost sale BUT had it not been for me selling these 3 games I would'nt have purchased 5 new.
That way they actually made money of me selling used games, 11 sales instead of 7.

So while they might not make money directly of my re-sales they make money in the end (which is what counts).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks