What's new

PS3 Faq? (1 Viewer)

Kevinfred

Grip
Real Name
Kevin MIller
Getting back into the home audio game.. I know I'm going to have a lot of questions. Is there a PS3 faq around? I was just wondering if I could 'just' get a receiver with analog inputs to take advantage of the DTS-HD, DD+, etc.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes you can, as long as the blu ray player is one like the Sony BDP-S550 or Panasonic BD55. But with the prices of the Onkyo TX-SR606, and Yamaha RX-V663, why not get one of these and not worry about it. You'd be future proof for awhile..............
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Good luck!

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
the only problem with that, is that dolby truHD will not work through just left and right analog. I am assuming this is what you want to do with your ps3. multi channel audio either needs a different analog input for each channel, or HDMI. Many bluray and hddvd have 8 analog outputs for 7.1 truHD, but I dont think ps3 does (i have not researched it, so I may be wrong).

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You're right..................
I wasn't even thinking he's using a PS3. I guess I had another thread in my mind, when I wrote that. Sorry for the confusion! (on my part)

You definitely MUST have a receiver that can handle the HD audio, over HDMI, since your PS3 doesn't have the 5.1/7.1 analog outputs. As I said before, get the Onkyo 606 or the Yammy 663, and you'll be good to go.
Good luck!

Not completely true...the reciever must be able to handle LPCM over HDMI...it need not be able to decode the new HD surround formats, the PS3 will decode those and send them as LPCM.

My apologies on misconstruing your meaning...normally I think of "handling" as being able to decode, as might other people. Think of my post as a clarification of yours, not a correction.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Don't worry about it. No harm done.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I realize there's receivers that can handle (play) HD audio, but can't decode it. Then there's the ones that can can decode.
Then there's the ones that HDMI is just pass through for video (easy switching), that doesn't handle audio at all (over HDMI). They still need a separate cable (optical/digital coax, analog) for audio.

They need to set an industry standard, so it's not so confusing to some people. They also need an industry standard for widescreen aspect ratios, instead of having 3-4 different ones. But that's another thread.......... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks