What's new

PS3 DTS-HD update available (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Just downloaded the latest update and gave it a check with I Robot. DTS-HD decoding at 4.0Mpbs+. Its late and everyones asleep so I'll have to give it a better listen in the morning.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Yeah, I too have downloaded and installed the firmware update, tested most of my DTS HD MA discs too - incredible!

FYI - Independence Day is a great title to test out the new DTS HD MA capabilities on!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Wait, shouldn't that bit rate be higher? I mean, Dolby TrueHD has like 7mbps, so I would have thought DTS HD would have been significantly higher.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Can't wait to get home and download the update. Rented Predator and Mr. & Mrs. Smith from Hastings (was going to get the sure to be horrible AvP 2, but it was out). I was tempted to rent Independence Day just for the sound, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. With those two, as well as Kingdom of Heaven and the Die Hard trilogy, I should get a good feel for DTS-MA. I'm also curious how First Blood sounds. Turns out it is a 3.0 Mbps track, though reviews for it (before DTS-MA decoding was available) indicated it was only 1.5 Mbps.

Robert George

Screenwriter

TrueHD at 16-bit/48 kHz (5.1) has an average bit rate of 1.4 mb/s with peaks ~3 mb/s. As bit depth goes up, so does bit rate, but even 24-bit/48 kHz TrueHD is considerably lower than 7 mb/s. DTS Master runs at similar bit rates, but I don't have the exact numbers at hand.

Joe_G

Second Unit
What kind of disc will I need to download the firmware update to? I don't have a USB storage device or ethernet connection to the PS3, so those options are out.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
You should be able to used the firmware burned to either a CD or DVD. It doesn't matter, as the PS3 reads both.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Gotcha...thanks for the explanation Robert!

Well, I tried out the new firmware update last night and I am still stunned by how great my system sounded. I checked out a few scenes from Die Hard 4, X-Men 3, Cast Away and The Simpsons and was impressed by all of them. Granted, Die Hard had a lot more in terms of demo scenes (too numerous to list), but even The Simpsons impressed me with it's subtlety. Small details were easily heard such as the echoes on the dialogue in the church scene...the reverb on the voices just seemed a lot more natural when it decayed. I fear that I'm going to have to pick up more Fox discs to experience more DTS HD tracks because they are just that good! I am one happy camper. :D

wally

Second Unit

Aw crap! Knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. Now I'm going to have to figure out a way to replace my non-HDMI Denon sooner than planned.

Thanks guys, NOT :D

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, Wally, but the improvement in the audio was nothing short of revelatory for me. I know the feeling...I had an older Rotel pre/pro before purchasing the new Integra DTC 9.8 and I haven't looked back since! :D

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I don´t fully understand?

This update is for:

*DTS-HD Master

"DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of delivering audio that is a bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. DTS-HD Master Audio delivers audio at super high variable bit rates -24.5 mega-bits per second (Mbps) on Blu-ray discs and 18.0 Mbps on HD-DVD - that are significantly higher than standard DVDs . This bit stream is so "fast" and the transfer rate is so "high" that it can deliver the Holy Grail of audio: 7.1 audio channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depths that are identical to the original."

*DTS-HD High Resolution

"DTS-HD High Resolution Audio can deliver up to 7.1 channels of sound that is virtually indistinguishable from the original. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio delivers audio at high constant bit rates superior to standard DVDs---6.0 Mbps on Blu-ray discs and 3.0 Mbps on HD-DVD to produce outstanding sound quality. It is capable of delivering up to 7.1 channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depth resolution. It allows content creators to deliver rich, high definition audio on movies where disc space may not allow for DTS-HD Master Audio."

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That is what I was asking. Does the update add HD MA as a function or is it just adding DTS HD HR as a function? The way I understand it DTS HD HR is still a lossy format rather than a losslessly compressed format. It would be similar to Dolby Digital +. Better than standard DTS but not as transparent as DTS HD MA. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Robert George

Screenwriter
The latest update to the PS3 adds decoding capability for BOTH DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA.

DTS-HD is a lossy compression format that allows higher bit rates and more discrete channels than "standard" DTS meaning better fidelity and more transparency to the source.

DTS-HD MA (aka, "DTS Master audio") is a lossless compression format that provides bit-for-bit duplication of the audio source master that fits in less space on a disc than that uncompressed PCM master would use.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Boy it's amazing what DTS MA sounds like on the Fox disc. I also noticed a slight improvement with the DTS MA track over the Dolby True track on Close Encounters...the bass seemed much sharper and the horns cleaner. Now I will have to test out all of my Fox blu-rays and am most anxious to watch Hairspray again, this time in DTS MA. Nice job, Sony! With BD2.0, the PS3 is an awesome machine. In fact, I am now starting to get into games. I am glued to my Uncharted" Drake's Fortune game. Also, loving the games Beowolf, Golden Compass and Turok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks