What's new

PS3 delayed (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i can't see how a PS3 will come out cheaper or even close to the price of a Blue-Ray player. if a dedicated blue ray player comes out at $400, how much would you expect the PS3 to be?

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Supposedly--and that's a big "supposedly"--the PS3 will be initially offered at no lower than $425...

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
A few details are trickling from the GDC 2006 conference:
  • officially confirmed as being region-free for gaming
  • will be fully backwards-compatible from the start
  • Sony will reveal the final PS3 controller design in May (the infamous boomerang design was merely conceptual)
  • the online service will be supported with a worldwide network and server infrastructure operated by Sony Computer Entertainment, and includes support of third-party servers
  • the online service will offer downloadable content and online commerce via micropayments (i.e. similar to Xbox Live); a subscription service is in the works
  • definition of downloadable content includes movies, music, etc. and not just games; will likely extend to the PSP once service is up-and-running

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Some interesting information indeed.
I never got into importing games, but the region-free gaming should appeal to many.
I look forward to finding out more from E3.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Ken--do you know if the region-free gaming is limited to PS3-only titles, or will the PS3 be able to play region-free PS2 titles as well?

BryceRobson

Auditioning
Please read this post only as a rumor/theory.

Since the PS3 delays are largely being blamed on the Blu-Ray delays, I thought this was an interesting bit to consider. Some crazy EB Games store manager in Toronto thinks the Blu-Ray tech in PS3s will be a source for reduction in the retail price.

Since I'm not yet to 15 posts, I am not able to include the article URL. :frowning: I'll include the article at the end.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Tony:

AFAIK, the region-free capability applies to PS3 games; neither Phil Harrison nor Ken Kutaragi has publicly stated whether this feature would extend to PS2 and/or PS1 titles. If anything changes, I'll pass it along.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks