What's new

PS3 Controller (1 Viewer)

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Eh.... why try to fix something that isn't broken?

I think the new look for the PS3 controller is silly and looks uncomfortable. What's with the boomerang shape?

The only thing they should have changed, is exactly what Microsoft did with their 360. They put they're horribly placed black and white buttons on the top of the controller, and kept the analog triggers underneath.

PS3 should simply make their L2 and R2 Trigger buttons ala the Xbox controller. Analog buttons. Mainly for games throttle.

The one thing I always preferred over all the other consoles, was the Playstation controller. They ruined it.

I can only hope that they'll change it before their Spring 2006 release.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Someone mentioned in the PS3 Discussion that they tried a boomerang-shaped controller years ago and it was pretty comfortable. I'll try it before I knock it too much.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I'm going to go with "it looks silly and uncomfortable." Not sure what they were thinking.

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Im not fan of the original PS/2 controller. I find it too small and cluttered for my chubby hands. The new controller looks a little odd, but I'll hold my oppinions until I actually try it out.

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly, NickoSo, analog triggers is all that the ps2 controller needed to make it great.
PS. You know it Sin City is best movie of the year.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

I agree. First impressions can be misleading.

I'll admit that I had some reservations when I saw the redesigned controller, but I've had some time to think about the ergonomics behind the shape, and from this standpoint, it could actually be better. The DualShock controller is the best controller I've used to date. However, the current design requires the user to bend his/her wrists, which could potentially lead to any number of RSIs (repetitive stress injuries), the most common being tendinitis (applies to almost every game controller on the market today, not just the DualShock). The arc in the PS3 controller does not require one to contort one's wrists; ergonomics-wise, it should be better in terms of overall comfort and health. (Users should still take 5-10 minutes of break time for every hour of gaming)

I would like to see the underside of the PS3 controller though.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I don't like the look of the PS3 controller at all. Aside from the boomerang shape, it does appear that the right and left side of the controller are angled out a bit when compared to the Dualshock controllers (example: the right digital D-pad doesn't seem to be angled straight if you look closely). That said, I have a hard time with the Dualshock controllers because of the placement of the two analog thumbsticks. I play a lot of games which require the manipulation of both sticks at the same time, and it is very uncomfortable to have my hands in a position to do so. The Xbox controller, on the other hand, is perfect with the placement of the left analog thumbstick up and to the left. I'm really diggin' the look of the 360 controller, although I never had a problem with the placement of the black and white buttons.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
They've mentioned that the PS3 controller is a 'prototype' (of course they say it after everyone decides they hate it ;)).

Don't forget that Sony was being sued by Immersion and that may be slowing them down or making them reconsider the shape.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Actually, it's the rumble feature in the DualShock, not the controller design, that is the subject of contention between Immersion and Sony. Microsoft avoided a much larger penalty by settling with Immersion (to the tune of $26 million) for doing the same with the Xbox controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks