What's new

PS3 Concept - Pic Included (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Looks smooth..

Don't know who did this, most likely unofficial but it's just nice to oogle over a new design possibility. :) If you can understand German the full pic is here. Any translaters?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It's not a real PS3 (or even a true concept design) because the discs it is going to use are the Blu-Ray discs, which are too big to fit in that slot.

Even so, it looks smooth and futuristic. But what's with the controllers being so thick?

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I miss Sega's consoles, at least they had some creativity to change the name to something interesting. Playstation, PS2, PS3 blah blah zzzz...thud.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I miss Sega's consoles, at least they had some creativity to change the name to something interesting. Playstation, PS2, PS3 blah blah zzzz...thud.
But why throw a perfectly good brand name out after 4-5 years? Especially when you consider that one of the advertised features of the PS3 will be backward compatibility.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Agreed. I don't give a rat's booty about the console name. I just want it to play great games and look decent in my living room. Sega's consoles, while having great games, have been pretty ugly in my opinion.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Easy to use disc cartridge:
An easy to use optical disc cartridge protects the optical disc's recording and playback phase from dust and fingerprints.
Now that's good to hear! I always hated worrying about fingerprints & scratches when using CDs in the car.

Pic 1
Pic 2

If they are inserted into the unit with its protective caddy it does look a little big for that PS3 concept.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If they are inserted into the unit with its protective caddy it does look a little big for that PS3 concept
That's the idea. The case acts like the cases for the Pioneer discs that were out in the 80s (they were like LaserDiscs). It stays on the disc while it's inside so it stays protected.

Though the second picture looks like it could fit into the slot.

All of the properties of Blu-Ray discs make me want them more and more. They're rewriteable, which means you could save game files right on the discs, and the protective case means they won't get damaged.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Reminds me of the minidisc design, something I always hoped would take off stateside for music and / or data instead of CD-R.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Remember when CDroms first came out, they were in those cases.. I remember at school we had a couple MACs, and the CDrom drive accepted those cases for the CDroms.. Those were the days :p)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Those cases from early cdrom drives were horrible. The little tabs holding the doors down on all of mine broke off. Hopefully if they are in cases you can't open them.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I agree Mike.

I was looking around our old computer stuff at work the other day and found about 50 of those old cases for CD-Rom's. Those things were terrible.

Glen

paul h

Supporting Actor
Wonder if Sony will let MS use the Blu Ray discs ;)

I like that design though and have to say having got used to the XBox controller i'm all for a chunkier PS3 pad.

EdR

Second Unit
That concept is nice looking, but it seems impractical to have an asymmetrical design...how do you stack it? It looks like both sides curve in toward the top. Unless it has longer feet on one side, it won't lie flat, and even if it does it's shape forces it to be the top-most device.

I'm all for innovative design, but this is a home appliance, it should be practical too.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Blu-Ray is not Sony's exclusive design. It's the DVD forum's which Sony is just a part of. The forum also designed DVD and that's the medium the Xbox uses.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I doubt they'd use a slot loading player for this. They're prone to all kinds of problems. There's a reason apple stopped using them.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I doubt they'd use a slot loading player for this. They're prone to all kinds of problems. There's a reason apple stopped using them.
Apple still uses slot-loading drives. Check out the new PowerBook. They work quite well, actually, and remove any possibility of getting the CD drawer caught or broken, as well as reducing needed space when the drawer is open, say on a plane.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It may just be mine, but I have one on the first waves of slot-loading iMacs and it has a problem with discs getting stuck. Mostly double-layered DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks