PS3 compatiblity

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Brice, Sep 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/436/436300p1.html

I wonder if they will finally make the original PS games look like their Bleemcast counterparts. Any one else have an opinion on this? Maybe they will have the PS2 games run smoother and less chance of them slowing down. I know i'll be buying a PS3 when it comes out (controller design pending, i love those dual shock 2s). Brice

2. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

IMO, I doubt that the PSOne games will ever come close to their Bleemcast counterparts. The article states that PSOne games run on the PS2 through emulation, rather than actual hardware, and that this will be the same scenario on the PS3 with regards to PS2 and PSOne games. Loading times should improve with the addition of more system RAM; I'm expecting the same with visual quality (psst, go with ATI. MS would appreciate the common interest in business partners. [​IMG] ) Whatever happens, I hope they preserve the DualShock design, i.e. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

It's great to see the backwards compatibility trend continue for Sony! I agree with both of you about keeping the standard Dual Shock controller design. I'll definitely be buying a PS3 when they come out. All we can do is hope that they don't suddenly announce that only 500,000 units will be available on launch day... [​IMG]

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The good thing is that it means that XBox will have to follow the trend (easy since it's a Wintel base), and I'm sure Nintendo will as well. I do believe that the dual compatibility has given PS1 a far longer life than anyone else would have thought possible

5. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

Isn't the PS2 supposed to have improved visual quality when playing PS1 games? Whatever improvements they have, it's barely noticable.

6. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Truth is you really won't get any improvements in visual quality since the limitation for the visuals is in the game itself and not just in the hardware. Also if you change the emulation software to try to improve visuals a few games may gain a very small improvement, while causing many other games to become unplayable.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The dual shock pad sucks for games that use the analog sticks. I tried aiming in Medal of Honor and there's a small delay when I stop moving the stick and it's just inaccurate in general. Both N and MS make tight, accurate sticks.. Sony should follow!

Everything else works great though, I hope the next design is something similar.

8. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer