PS3/Blu-Ray question....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Stephen Brooks, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    So let's say I go out and buy a PS3, and I use the packed-in composite video cable to hook it up to a standard, interlaced, analogue, NTSC TV. Will I be able to watch Blu-Ray movies? I know it won't be high-def, but will I get any picture at all, and if so, would it be even marginally better that DVD using the same connection scheme?

I ask this because this is probably how the majority of people will be hooking up their game machines. Does the Blu-Ray capability of PS3 have any value for someone who ISN'T using it as the centerpiece of a state-of-the-art home theater system?

The same question would apply to XBOX 360 and its upcoming HD-DVD add-on.

2. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    If the player has a 480i output resolution option, then it should work.

I think this will be possible with the PS3, but I'm not sure.

I think that any HD DVD player or BD player should be able to play downconverted to 480i on a standard def TV as long as the player let's you output 480i.

Someone else want to chime in with more definitive information?

3. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Not sure how much better the downconverted HD will look compared to DVD.

In theory it should look a little better for various reasons. But I'm sure that variables such as the capabilities of the TV and the viewing distance, etc... will affect whether or not there would be any significant difference to your eye.

4. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Stephen - Blu-Ray will output in 1080p over HDMI, or 720p/1080i over component video. It will not output over composite video. I'm not sure why anyone would want to play a Blu-Ray disk at 480i on a 4:3 television to begin with! At this resolution you would have no difference in PQ between Blu-Ray and DVD, which defeats the purpose of purchasing a Blu-Ray player.

Xbox 360 has composite output for playing games in SD. It's not confirmed if the PS3 will have composite output for gameplay or not..

Also, in 2006, HDTV isn't so "state of the art". Over 20 million homes in America will have HDTV by the end of this year.

5. Austan

Austan Second Unit

There should be no issues. PS3 will be able to display video on almost any TV. Official PlayStation Website

I assume the "AV Multi Out" means that it would be a proprietary slot that can you can fix multiple video adaptors. (and maybe some stereo outputs too)

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

The 60 GB version will have HDMI out in addition to the AV Multi out.

7. Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron Supporting Actor

Sony wants every breathing person on this planet to own a PS3. The console will be 100% functional for 480i output since a majority of it's eventual users will have standard def tvs. Most of the world does not have a HDTV. Even in the US we've barely started getting them into peoples homes.

8. Gekkou

Gekkou Stunt Coordinator

Yes, that is correct. The PlayStation 2 has this same slot and it can indeed use composite, S-Video and component cables.

Apparently the PS3 can also output 1080p via component (confirmed in an interview), but have fun finding a TV that will accept it over an analogue connection.

9. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

If you want a good chuckle at the expense of PS3, take a look at THIS VIDEO

"Have you ever even heard of the Blu-Ray?!" I just found it damn hilarious!

10. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    And as a "too little too late" warning, the above link may not be work safe. Not so much the video, which I loved btw, but the surrounding ads are a little well...

11. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

Noted. Thanks Chris, I should have been more careful. I apologize for that.

I found a youtube.com link that's clean. Enjoy! [​IMG]

12. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

The advantage lies in amassing a collection of high-definition material that will be ready-to-go when the view eventually purchases a high-definition monitor, without having to re-purchase standard-definition titles on Blu-ray.