What's new

PS3 3D and Lossless audio - receiver compatibility question (1 Viewer)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Hello All! I've been thinking for some time about replacing my trusty old Sony KDL-40S2000 LCD TV with something larger and possibly 3D. My current setup is: PS3 ("fat" model) connected via HDMI to an Onkyo TSR-605 receiver which in turn is connected via HDMI to the TV. With this setup I get both TrueHD and DTS-MA. Since I have a "fat" PS3 which cannot bitstream these codecs I know that the PS3 is decoding them internally and sending them out as PCM. This week Sony put out PS3 firmware 3.70 which among other things adds the ability to decode lossless audio while playing 3D blu-ray. My question is can I just replace the TV in my setup and still get lossless audio from the receiver and get 3D blu-ray playback? Or do I need to upgrade to a 3D-capable (ie HDM 1.4) receiver to do this, even though the PS3 only has an hdmi 1.3 connection? At the present time I'd rather not upgrade both TV and receiver. - Guy

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
If you plug the PS3 directly to the TV it is my understanding that's the only way to get the 3D picture. I don't know of any recievers with HDMI 1.3 that would pass the 3D onto the TV. Which is why certain 3D Blu-ray players like the Oppo have 2 HDMI outputs.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Alas that's what I was afraid of. So basically my choices if I want both lossless audio and 3D are 1) get a new receiver 2) get a standalone BR player with 2 HDMI outs, with one for picture going to the TV and one for sound going to the receiver. Also, I've learned that the 3.70 update actually only allows lossless DTS-MA decoding when watching in 3D, not Dolby TrueHD which is still downconverted. - Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks