What's new

PS3 1.54 Update Available (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah, Dont bother....

New for 1.54: [Screen Mode] has been added as an option in the options menu for video chat. The image of the person you are chatting with during video chat can now be changed to match the screen size.

New for 1.54: You can now use a compatible USB camera compliant with USB video class (UVC) for video chat.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well it forced me to do the update if I wanted to go into the online PS store so I did it...

And then Virtua Fighter 5 wouldn't load. Kept giving me a "error on start" prompt, even though it recognized the disc and from the main menu it even played the VF5 mini-video.

So after a few futile restart attempts, I fully shut the PS3 down (flicked the back switch to off) for about 20 seconds, and upon restart VF5 finally worked.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I just got my 60 last night and it came with 1.31. What should I do? I think I might just wait for the presumed fw coinciding with the UK launch.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Well if you want to go into the PS Store for any reason (to download demos or trailers) it'll force you to update.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not just to go into the store, but as soon as you turn it on, it says "update available" and it won't sign in until you update (for me via wireless anyway). You can still do everything except go online.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, if the pausing is not fixed before my 30 day return window, this sucker is going back.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
While watching a movie, you have to turn off the wireless networking to stop the pausing. Something is going on in the background that's causing the hiccup. Only by disabling the network will it stop until Sony provides a patch.

Dan

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
No wonder I've never had the pause problems everyone else seems to be talking about. I have the 20gb version which doesn't have wireless.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

I just applied the fix a few minutes ago and will know after watching some more movies tomorrow whether the random freezing (about 2-3 times per movie) has disappeared.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
So, is this for the 60 GB? No more freezes even with the wireless network on?

Funny that the tech would rule out the wireless when most people have turned it off and it cured their freezing issues.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Update: I watched The Prestige this afternoon and the occasional freezing was still present. I've ruled out the disc itself since the point of freezing is not repeatable. I guess I'll be on the phone to SONY TECH tomorrow. I've done everything recommended in the message I posted, did a RESET, have Firmware Version 1.54 installed etc. etc. This didn't occur, as far as I can recall, prior to V1.51 being installed on my PS3.

It's very frustrating. Even though the effect is minor (freezing for about 10 seconds then starting again a few seconds further along in the program) it's definitely not acceptable behavior from any player of any format.

Fingers crossed this gets rectified shortly.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Sony tech is useless for this. After trying everything on the phone with you to no satisfaction, they will ask you to ship the unit for repair. You will get a refurbished unit in return and the problem will persist.

Many are hoping the 1.6 update will fix the problem. It is rumored that it will be released on the 23rd to coincide with the European launch. I am hoping.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Oh and you can learn a lot on the PS3 forums actually, once you figure out that every other post is by a 12 year old who has no idea what they are talking about. And every third post is by an adult who also has no idea what they are talking about! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just to add my own anecdotal experience, I own a 60GB PS3 and have gone through most of the updates, including 1.54, and have never had a skip (just played The Prestige last night). I have never turned on my wireless.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
DO the sixty gig ones that come with the wireless also have an ethernet port so we could plug in? If so could you turn off the wireless and just plug in when you wanted to and a connection will be made?
I keep trying to find a 20gig, the one without wifi and am having no luck. A Best Buy guy told me it says discontinued in their company computers for that model.

But if ya can turn off the wireless and still be able to wire in when nedded, the sixty gig may have to do.
Either that or I'll just get a darn settop BR player and forgo this PS3/convergence piece if is is going to be subject to constant firmware "upgrades" that may indeed screw things up.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, the PS3 firmware upgrades is supposed to be (and will be) a positive. But honestly, one of the reasons I originally bought the PS3 is because of the wireless function. Wired is not an option for me at least.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I have wires in all the important places. Our X-box 360 is wired and I have another wire free in the living room for what ever needs it. The wireless modem works fine for our laptop, but all our other computers are wired in.

It really does look like all we are being offered now IS the wireless PS3 anyway.
I guess it is still a good deal considering all it does, but it is an even better deal for less IF you do not need the wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks