What's new

PS2 video connections (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I have a Link Removed . It's like a Wega I guess, I really like it.
Anyway, I just got a Playstation 2.. I'm able to get composite, s-video or component connections for it. My TV takes all 3. It's not a HDTV, it's not a huge screen or anything "high end" like that. So, which would give me a better picture on my TV, the S-video connection or the component? People say component is better, but I just don't know if I'd really see a difference on my TV since it's not anything really special or anything...?
------------------
Tim Kline
HT Newbie Extraordinaire!
[email protected]
Link Removed
My DVD List
Link Removed

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
If it were me, I would go for the best connection available. It may not be a huge difference, but if you can go component, do it. Is there much of a difference in prices of cables for this connection, compared to S-video?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
For that size of a set I would probably recommend going with the s-video cables. Since the PS2 doesn't have any built in anti-aliasing on its chipset I don't think you would really tell a huge difference. However for only a few bucks more the component cables are hard to pass up. I found them online for only $18.99. Chris
Link Removed

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I have my PS2 hooked up via component to my 32" Toshiba and love it. I can tell a difference (minute though it is) between the S-video and the component connection, however, your milage may vary I suppose.
If you have nothing else you'd rather hook up via the component inputs (ie. a stand-alone DVD player) than I'd probably just go ahead and get the component cable for the PS2, particularly if you'll be using the PS2 as your DVD player like I am.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Well, right now I have S-video.. and I also have that for my Sega Dreamcast. I also have my DVD player on s video all connected to my receiver so I can switch around easier.
with both the PS2 and DC, I get a "warped" picture.. like, the topleft corner of the screen seems to bend in a bit, and the picture is slighly crooked like the whole thing is spun a teeny bit.. a straight line on the bottom of the screen will go about halfway across before it sinks below where you can't see it anymore. It's very faint but still kind of annoying. My DVD player though is perfect. But bot game systems do this, even if I connect them directly to the TV instead of through the receiver.
So, I'm wondering if maybe the component connection will fix that, I don't get this problem at all using the origial composite cables for the systems though
------------------
Tim Kline
[email protected]
Link Removed
My DVD List
Link Removed

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I had the same problem. The game console images are crooked/distorted. It's is weird though because even though PS2 games exhibit this behavior when I play a DVD video in the PS2 the image geometry and alignment is fine. It must just have something to do with the way the game programming works and outputs the image. I basically played with the geometry setting in the service menu to fix it without getting the DVD video image out of wack. I don't really notice it all that much though.

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
Every component video cable I've for the PS2 (aside from the Sony-branded one) doesn't include analog audio cables (video signal only). This would mean that would be forced to utilize the optical output for sound. The "premium" cables I've seen available for this (AR and Monster) are the same way.
------------------

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I'm hooking my ps2 up to my Sony 57" 16:9 tv and the picture is NICE! I suppose it wouldn't make as much of a difference on a small TV, but if you every upgrade to a bigger TV you'll want the component. I'm using the optical out for audio so I don't care that the breakout doesn't include audio, in fact I prefer it... less cables :)
Brian

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I've been thinking of getting an optical cable for it instead of the sterio one. But I'm worried, since I've heard they can be fragile sort of, and when I have the whole gang over the PS2 is usually on the floor so the controlers can reach every spot on the sofa and chairs and stuff.. so I'll be moving it around a lot and I'm scared I might mess up the cable. Plus, I need a really long one too.. my DVD cable is maybe 5' if that and I need something like 3x that big at least, which means it'll be real expensive, won't it
frown.gif

------------------
Tim Kline
[email protected]
Link Removed
My DVD List
Link Removed

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Tim,
I had the same concern about the PS-2 to system cables getting damaged. I found extension cables for the controllers. This lets me put the PS-2 in my rack along with everything else and leave it there so the cables from it to my receiver are not disturbed all the time.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks