What's new

PS2 Software Advice - Old Gems? (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
For Christmas, we picked up a PS2 at EB with their bundle deal. We now have : the PS2. 1 Controller. 1 Memory Card. Ratchet and Clank. Harvest Moon. Kingdom Hearts.

Please advise on any great games that are now somewhat discounted. We are fans of platformers, shooters, and rpgs. The only games we really don't care for are sports.

Any suggestions?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You should look for Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy X, Suikoden III, and Contra. Those are all platformers, RPGs, or shooters. There's probably more I forgot to mention.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Ace Combat 4. It's now a greatest hits title and is a steal at 19.99. I've played through it about 4 times already but I still keep coming back to it. Great graphics, controls, and just amazingly immersive. Definitely pick it up.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Sly Cooper is -DEFINITELY- on my list. I loved "ROCKET" by Sucker Punch. I only hope Sly Cooper is as good.

The guy at EB warned me off of Rygar for being short, high on flash, and low on content.

I've seen some games I know nothing about like Cookie and Cream and Klonoa.

Kingdom Hearts is amazing. I can't wait until my theater room is fixed and I can run it on my HDTV in Surround Sound.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
You won't be disappointed by Sly Cooper.

Devil May Cry is a good game, also - but may be a little on the scary side for kids.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
If you can find Rayman 2: Revolution, give that a shot.

I second the vote for Sly Cooper, as well.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Is Rayman 2 : Revolution the same Rayman 2 that appeared on Dreamcast (and N64?) If so, I've got that one coverred.

Re: Devil May Cry, there are no age restrictions. It's just me and another adult player. I did find the camera angles difficult on it though. Do they improve later in the game?

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I dunno if the camera angles improve, but you do get used to them, and you learn to adapt. (At least I did.) I agree, though, they are a bit frustrating.

Ever play Atari 2600 games when you were younger? Activision Anthology is only $30, and has 45 old 2600 games included. I just picked it up a few hours ago and I'm really looking forward to playing it (my fave's were Kaboom! and Megamania).

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I don't know how I could have left this out, but you MUST go and get this game, even if it's the only game you get:

ICO

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Ace Combat 4 is the best.

Sky Odyssee
Deus Ex
Baulder's Gate
Dynasty Warriors 3
GTA3(stay away from Vice City if you hate the 80's as much as I do)
Jak and Daxter
Klonoa 2
Rez
Burnout 2
Shadow of Destiny

just to mention some that other people haven't yet.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Devil May Cry, best action game I have played in a while, although the camera angles are sometimes programmed badly. 2nding Dynasty Warriors 3 for 2-player, (although Dynasty Warriors 3 Extreme is coming out, a remix of 3, next month, for $40). Definitely MAXIMO, sometimes very difficult, but fun.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
KLONOA
Oh, and...
KLONOA

John-Miles

Screenwriter
why not look at some PS1 games, some of the final fantisies especially are amazing and very cheap now.

as well can we say Metal Gear Solid 2 only 30 dollars canadian

Andre F

Screenwriter
I also think Jak & Daxter is worth a purchase. I think it's a "Greatset Hits" realease where it's only $20.00. You could also look into ICO. That's a very cool game...

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Gran Turismo 3, if you like simulation racers. It's a Greatest Hits for $19.99--probably the best racing sim on any console. All of the other best games have been mentioned above.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Don't forget Red Faction and Twisted Metal:Black. Both part of the greatest hits collection for $19.99 each.

Users who are viewing this thread