What's new

PS2 SOCOM Online Gaming, whos in? (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
I am counting the days until the PS2 network adapter arrives and SOCOM and Madden 2k3. Anyone else planing on getting SOCOM and taking it online almost immediatly? I know I am.

It would be neat to get a list of people that will have their PS2 online to form a "buddy/mailing list" of sorts to get games going etc. It seems initially that the only games being played online will be SOCOM, Madden, and Timesplitters 2. Then Tribes, et al.

If you're interested, let me know. I will keep track of everything, and eventually organize games etc. (if this works out, I could create an online "database" where HTFers could schedule events and "invite" all registered users etc.)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I'm getting my ps2 on Monday but I plan on getting a network adapter the day they come out. I also plan on getting Madden 2003 and more then likely SOCOM. So I am down to play any of those games when I get them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think SOCOM is fee-less and requires a BB connection, so I might get it and the adapter when they come out (I'm more looking forward to Super Mario Sunshine, which comes out on the same day, I think).

But by Christmas I'll probably have it.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I just have a problem with having to buy broad band too. There's a lot of bills in my life and another $50 a month is not too bad, but it's for something that I won't use that often, since I've started college I don't have as much time to even enjoy games until the weekend, then have to worry about the guilt of playing games and not studying.

But Socom is definitely my next buy, especially since PS2 only has 2 games that are 480p and it's the 2nd one, maybe I should say the first since it comes out before Tekken4

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
LaMarcus,
Actually in my experience at college, a fast internet connection is crucial for downloading documents put on electronic course reserve(usually 5+mb PDF files) as well as being able to quickly look up info for papers and such. For a college student, I'd say that a fast internet connection is essential.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yea, I hear ya Dave that's the only conflict I have with not getting the BB, because sadly I'm in college from computer engineering, not to mention my whole curriculum is on line and I test a lot of test onlin also, and for me to not have atleast DSL is shameful.
But 55kbps has been doing it's job.:D

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
As a Political Science major(I have no clue what I'm gonna do with it), I always have to download a bunch of huge acrobat files on reserve. That and it's really great to have the internet for paper research. I can just go to Google and find info that I'd normally ave to go to the library and find on my own. Ah what did college students do before the internet ;) But I digress. I'm still not sure If I'm gonna take my PS2 online. Part of me wants to but I'd probably have to get a router and I'm not sure I'll play all that many online. SOCOM does look very cool as does Tribes Aerial Assault and Time Splitters 2(although I may pickup the GC version as it will probably look a bit nicer and play smoother). Choices choices :D

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
the more I think about this, the more I think an online "online gaming calendar" database is a great idea.

I would just add a tool that can be used on my website, where registered users can view a calendar (daily/weekyly/monthly) and view a list of games that are scheduled, by the users. Anyone can join any of these scheduled games at any time, and also drop out. etc, etc.
email reminders would be sent out if desired reminding people of the scheduled games they are "signed up" for. Users could also be opted to be "notified" whenever any game of a certain title/console is scheduled. Users could also "invite" other users based on certain profile settings like "user=jason: system=ps2, games=madden2k3, socom, timesplitters2, etc." A user scheduling a SOCOM game for Sept 3rd, 8:00pm could opt to "invite" all registered ps2 & socom owners who have allowed this invite option (based on profile settings etc.)

please, everyone let me know your thoughts on this project. If everyone thinks it sounds like a good idea (and something that they really honestly would like to use) I will get started right away! the ideas are just flooding in my head right now so Im anxious to try to get this idea going.

thanks!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Online gaming is the best thing to happen to the sport of video games since the invention of the cd rom. I definately wanna be apart of it.

James St

Supporting Actor
I'll be getting the game but may not be going online at first. Still need to get a router and ethernet cable run to my living room.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'm in! I'll be getting Socom and the Network Adapter. Ready for some action here my friends:emoji_thumbsup:

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I know this is a bump for this thread but I just want as many people to get in on the gaming action as possible. Becuase personally the day that the network adapter comes out im going online, got the cables, hub, and whatnot all ready to go. Also Jason that sounds like a very good idea.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Don't suppose anyone knows if SOCOM will work with the Linksys USB ethernet adapter I bought to play THPS3 online with, do they?

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
SOCOM and all future online compatible games will not work with the USB network adapter that you (and I) have purchased. That was something that the creators of Tony Hawk took apon themselves to add support for (and mighty kick ass of them if I might say). Sony has also confirmed this. Sony basically wants everyone to stick with at least 1 standard in the PS2 online gaming fest, and thats to use the Official Adapter.

In other news, I began working on the "Online Console Gamer" network, which will allow users to schedule games, invite other users, be alerted of new games scheduled, etc, etc. The only thing that Im concerned with is the process of "creating" a game in SOCOM, Madden, et al. If you must simply join premade games, that will blow and make the process of "scheduling" games much harder. If you can, indeed, create games similar to Battle.net, then the scheduling will be a sinch, since all "signed up" users for a particular scheduled game will know what game name to look for etc.

(ie: PS2 -> SOCOM -> "HTF Frag Fest", Thursday 8:00pm EST)

Does anyone know exactly how the online gaming will work, in regards to what I mentioned above?

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I remember reading somewhere that SOCOM has built-in support for clans. Anyone interested in an HTF clan?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks