PS2 - Sims

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Beveridge, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

Anyone else get this in this week? My first PS2 purchase since the original Grand Theft Auto, though this one is primarily for the wife since she doesn't have the time to actually play the PC versions. I played it a few hours last night, found it nice and addictive for the three hours I played (instead of DVD reviewing, ugh!), though there's some noticeable slowdowns throughout it. It looks like it's something she'll have a lot of fun with.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

I loved the Sims. Loved beiing the key word. It was a fun addicting game, but by the time the first addon came on the PC, I already stopped playing long ago.

I don't have a PS2, but from what I see, the graphics look 10x better than the PC. Why couldn't they use those type of graphics for the Sims Online, which is basically The Sims with a chatroom?

4. Joe Reed

Joe Reed Stunt Coordinator

Romier, tell you wife tht she can unlock the pc "open" mode it the ps2 version, maybe she will like more now [​IMG]

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

All I can say is that I'm playing Sims Online and I can't imagine playing with people who are not real. It's so much more fun for me that way...

7. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I heard this was going to be out on the other consoles as well. I think I'll probably wait out an XBox version.

8. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Andre, you got the Online version? What's your Name and Where you living?

9. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The PS2 version of The Sims is perfect for someone like me. I don't have a computer I can use for games (just a low end behemoth at the office), certainly no computer at home. When I first joined the HTF I was living in Maine and had a great computer w/The Sims. Was quite addicted to it. But since then, I haven't played it at all. All I have are consoles now.
    That said, here is my review based on what I've played so far. It's a resounding [​IMG] by the way. [​IMG]
    The graphics are much improved. The effect is particularly noticeable when you rotate around a room with a hardwood floor... the lighting on the wood reflections changes as you rotate, flashes of light in the glass panes of the windows. Everything is fully 3D, including the furniture, accessories, chairs, people... it feels much more graphically immersive than the PC version. The lighting effects are really nice, especially at night time. I haven't noticed a drop in framerate, although there haven't been more than 3 people onscreen at once.
    The sounds (lifted directly from the PC version) are crystal clear, they don't sound like cheap fuzzy samples but are quite clear. I do miss being able to play my own MP3s on the stereo though.
    The 'get a life' mode is quite entertaining. You start out in a big mansion with a hottub and poof! a beautiful woman appears, kisses you, strips, and gets into the hot tub. Just as you're really beginning to enjoy the moment, you wake up. You're living with your Mom, no job, no income. And you have to start from there. You are given goals, such as 'fix the tv,' 'serve dinner without starting a fire' and ultimate challenge of getting a grand total of $800 from Mom. As well as nurturing your relationship with her, you have to clean up after yourself and make sure your meters stay full.
    I got lucky... the phone rang and one of my stock tips soared. I ended up remodelling the front room, replaced the tv with a pinball machine (which Mom took to) and passed the level having unlocked several luxury items.
    The next level involves moving into a house that has been thrashed by partying. You have to clean, repair everything.. it's very involved but there appears to be no time limit.
    I was concerned about the button mapping to the PS2 controller, since I was very used to the keyboard setup. I have to say... a LOT of thought was put into the controls, and it shows. Everything is extremely intuitive. My only gripe is with the fast-forwarding of time: there appears to be only one speed, and you must hold down the R1 button to fast forward.
    Just by passing the first 'get a life' level, I unlocked 'Sims mode' which I have not checked out yet, but am familiar with already because of the PC version. For luddites like me who rely on consoles solely for video game entertainment, this game is really great. [​IMG]
    Oh, I read in a review that you can't zoom in or out of the action without the screen rotating as well. This is just wrong. You can rotate and zoom independent of one another.
    I'm curious to see just how many skins are available/unlockable for the PS2 version. There currently don't seem to be very many.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] out of [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    ~Joseph