ps2 problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Posey, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

In January 2001, I purchased my ps2. since that time it has been fixed once replaced twice, and now its about to be replaced again. Every time the problem has been similar. First about two months after originally buying it the console stopped reading dvd movies. So I called sony and they repaired the problem, and not only did they repair the problem but I shipped the unit out and recieved it back in the same week. then three months later it stopped playing cd-rom and music cds. So I called Sony and they replaced it instead of fixing it. This was in late August early September. It last all the way to January where it would not play anything. Even though the warranty was up Sony replaced it again. I just got it about two weeks ago and already the system stop playing dvd movies and dvd-rom based games. It will play ps2 and ps1 cd-rom games and music cd's. I called sony and they are replacing it again. I don't want it replaced I just want it to work. I dont use any aftermarket products, no mod chips and I take critical care of it but I can not figure what's the problem. the only thing I can slightly suspect. is Blockbuster. The second time it had to be replaced, came a couple of hours after I played final fantasy 10 that I rented from blockbuster. And this week I did rent another game from blockbuster. Have anyone else out there expierience this problem. Are there any sony representatives out there surfing this site that can shed any light on this problem.

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Do you keep it in an entertainment center or rest it on the carpet while you are playing it? How long do you play it for usually in one sitting? Any other people use it? Do you move it around a lot?

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

First thing you should do is make sure that you are not breaking any of the "PS2 no-no's" (like putting it on carpet, little ventilation around it, shutting it off improperly, etc.).

Second, make sure the discs aren't scratched.

Third, try doing the self-diagnosis thing (its in a menu on the PS2 somewhere) and see if that helps.

Fourth, if you are moving your PS2 a lot, make sure you're not banging it up.

Fifth, make sure that you are putting discs in it the right way and aren't letting the edge of a disc like hang off the tray a little or anything like that.

And lastly, make sure you aren't playing in a dusty room. Dirt and dust can clog the lens, and then it won't be able to read the discs.

4. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Keep in mind sending it back to SONY for a replacement only yields a refurbished unit, not a new one.

5. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

You MUST be doing something wrong, or have BAD power in your house, the odds of there being THIS many bad PS2s are about zero. I've never had ONE problem, other than it being unable to be able to read HORRIBLY scratched rental discs, which I expect of ALL DVD players.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Also, don't turn it on and off quickly. It can do damage.

And when you turn it off, don't hit the switch on the back, press the reset button (hold it in for a few seconds until the unit turns off) and then flip the switch in the back (or just leave the reset button with the red LED and the unit is essentially off).

7. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

8. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Joe, hard disks which are made by the millions each day are subject to the same quick power on/off problems. It isn't about being built cheap its about the physical mechanisms being jolted without being able to reset themselves.

9. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Just for the record, I never hold down the reset button for 3 seconds, and then turn it off. (In fact, I never knew you had to do that.) I just flip the switch in the back to turn it off. I've never had a problem.

10. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

11. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I didn't say it had a hard drive, I said it had components that are similarly susceptible to quick on/off surges.

12. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

the ps2 sits on top of my big screen television. I dont use aftermaret products, when I turn it off I just hold down the reset button until it turns of. I tried the diagnostic option, but nothing. The only thing I have noticed when this happens, the problem twice the problem began after I rented games from Blockbuster.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

First of all, flipping the switch in the back (to turn the PS2 off) is not a good idea because it can do damage to the power supply.

Second, turning the PS2 on and off quickly can do damage to the memory cards, the power supply, and the moving parts. On older, cartridge based, consoles, turning them on and off quickly could erase games (so you would never be able to play them again).

Third, you just need to hold the reset button to turn the PS2 off. You don't need to hit the switch in the back to turn it off. If you are moving it to another room, then you should turn it off (reset button method) then hit the switch in the back, move it to the other room, and flip the switch back on.

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Some games for the NES and SNES and N64 could be damaged by turning the power on and off quickly or by being touched by magnets. Even if the carts weren't damaged, saved files on the cartridges could be damaged or erased.