PS2 or Xbox?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Daniel Kikin, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I may have the choice of receiving a free PS2 or Xbox in the near future. This could be a loaded question but which one should I take if I get the choice?

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Look at what kind of games you want to play. The XBox may have superiour hardware, but if there aren't any games on it that you want to play, it'll just collect dust. I play my GameCube a lot, and my PS2 not nearly as much. I haven't seen more than a few games that I'd like to play on the XBox, so I haven't picked one up yet.

3. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

IMO I would say the XBOX, they are way more flexible, can run 420p, 720p & 1080i HDTV on games. You can mod it and keep you're games on the HD (No carting around discs anymore). and once modded there is SOO much you can do with it, such as emulators to run those great old Atari games right upto N64 [​IMG], or stream video straight on the XBOX.

Once you mod it, you can FTP to you're XBOX hard drive and send data to it of any sort.

Please I love the games on XBOX myself [​IMG].

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Of course, modding your XBox and getting on LIVE might be problematic...

Naturally, I'd vote for XBox. It's the technically superior machine. Plus the LIVE service just plain rocks, if online play appeals to you.

That being said, I gotta agree with Don.

Look at the game libraries, and see what games suit you better! Then decide which machine is more suited to your wants/needs.

5. Matthew Perry

I agree, it can make for a bit more of a pain on LIVE, but can be got around [​IMG]. Also if you guy's love Live, I also recommend you try xbconnect (http://www.xbconnect.com) as it is like live and FREE as well.

Also works with modded boxes!

6. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Thanks for the suggestions, if everything pans out, it sounds like Xbox is the way to go but I'll take a look at the games for both before making a choice.

7. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

To throw in my 2 cents I bought an Xbox and a PS2 on the same day 2 years ago. I bought the PS2 because at the time everyone I knew had a PS2 and I had a PS1 with about a hundreb games so since the PS2 it was backwards compatible it made sense, also my kids love FF (final Fantasy) games. I bought the XBOX because I thought that hardware wise it was brilliant and that knowing MS they would do everything they could to get it going.

That all said after 2 years with both machines , I now own 3 xboxes with a total of about 50 games (all bought and paid for) and the PS2 has the same 10 games I bought the first year and if it wasn't for the fact that it anded up becoming my bedroom DVD player I probably wouldn't have touched in the last year.

As for online play I use XBconnect for my 2 modded xboxes and Xbox live for my unmodded xbox. And I can honestly say after almost 7 years of online PC play, and after trying the PS2 online, that the Xbox is what God made to amuse himself on the seventh day (Yes it's that good), Xbox Live is by far the best online experience I have had.

Anyway as for games on both systems, there really isn't that much different for mainstream games. A year ago I would have said the PS2 has GTA, Grand Turismo, and FF, but now after playing PGR2 online on my projector online, playing KOTR (knight of the old Republic), and seeing how much cleaner Vice city looks on my XBOX compared to my PS2. It's not a contest.

You can take this post for what it is, just one guys opinion.

I hope whatever system you choose, that it gives you as much pleasure as I have gotten from mine.

cheers,

Zed

P.S. I'm currently looking at getting a fourth xbox (can you say 16 man Halo 2 matches) [​IMG]

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Zed, you obviously have too much money. [​IMG]

I can agree with that! I've been playing online games on my PC for many moons. Live is just AMAZING. [​IMG]

9. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

lol..no, not too much money, just a very very very understanding wife. Also technically only 1 xbox is mine both of my sons bought there own with Bday money in last year and now one of my daughters wants to buy the fourth one with her xmas money.

Mods: sorry to get off topic..

cheers!

10. Matthew Perry

Just finished installing my new 120GB drive, woooohooo let the games begin!!! [​IMG]

11. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

mmmmmmmmmm 120 gb hard drive aahhhggg((drooling like homer)...

did you have any problems finding a Hard drive that can be locked and unlocked? Are you using it mainly for games and emulators or are you going to use it for a mini HTPC?

cheers,

Zed

12. Matthew Perry

No it was simple to find one, most are actually. Check out http://www.xbox-scene.com in the "Hardware" forum, they have a sticky thread with lists.

Will be used strictly for games and N64 (Surreal64) emulator and roms!

13. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

I've been debating the same question (xbox Vs PS2). I think my sixth month old NEEDS a video game system :)

The wife just about agrees but shes worried that by the time HES really old enough to play with it WITH ME, there will be a new system out.

I actually heard a microsoft person mention XBOX2 a few months ago. Is this just rumor or is there something actually in the work?

14. Matthew Perry

Its a true thing, but release date is unknown. However if you are always worried about something new being released, you won't own too much [​IMG].

15. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

AN excellent source of hand/eye coordination learning for the 6 month old. I must commend you on your parenting skills [​IMG]

As for the xbox2 rumour, it has been confirmed by both Microsoft and Sony that PS3 and Xbox2 are in the works, what hasn't been confirmed is the hardware or the actually launch date. There are all kinds of rumours on both sides (good and bad). The only rumour that seems consistant is that both consoles will launch by 2006 (some speculate xmas 2005). But know one really knows ( I don't think Sony ir Microsoft even really have a solid launch date set internally, just a "would like to have it by" date.

As for buying now or waiting for next gen, based on previous console launches the price for PS3 or XBOX are probably going to be around 400 dollars U.S. at launch. Also how many good titles will they have at launch both consoles were pretty limited for good games their first years.

I bet that by mid May of this year at the latest you will see PS2 and Xbox do another big price drop. I know here in Canada I can get a new xbox with 3 games and 2 controllers for around 180 U.S.

cheers,

Zed

16. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

"Hand Eye Coordination" I'll have to remember that when the wife asks why he needs "Grand Theft Auto".

SO the rumors are true? Any idea what the new systems will be like and if theyll be worth the wait?

17. Matthew Perry

Well you can always guarantee that anything "Newer" coming out will be "Better" but I will worry about that when the time comes [​IMG].

"Live for today for tomorrow may never come" [​IMG]

18. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

I thought these thread titles were a thing of the past. Oh well.[​IMG]

19. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

The first decision to make is: which has the games you like.

If one has more than the other, then it's an easy choice.

I went with an XBox back in 2002 for a simple reason: all the games I like are cross-platform (EA Sports games, Soul Calibur), or XBox exclusives (Dead or Alive, Mechassault, Crimson Skies).

In my apartment we have all three systems now, and one thing I noticed. My roomie got The Sims Bustin Out for his PS2 for XMas. Turns out he had to buy 2 mem cards to play the game for two players. That cost him $40. Sims for XBox would have saved the game on the HD. In fact, the seasons on Madden and NCAA 2004 are all on my HD, whereas on the PS2 I would have had to buy a mem card.

So for me, the HD on the XBox is also a key selling point.

But all the technological improvements of the XBox are moot if the games you want to play are on the PS2.

20. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

Like Carlos said, I can't count how many times I have been happy that my xboxes had Hard drives and built in ethernet. As far as I'm concerned Sony really dropped the ball there. I know you can buy these things for the PS2, but how much money do I need to spend to get a product that is inferior harware wise to come close to one that came ready out of the box?

cheers,

Zed