What's new

PS2 Optical hookups? (1 Viewer)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Does the PS2 need a proprietary Sony optical cable to output a digital signal? I have a regular optical cable running into the LD input of my Yamaha RX-V1, as well as the S-Video out of the PS2. The only way I get sound is with the S-Video AND L/R RCA's. My TV has component in, as well as the Yamaha. Do I need to use a PS Component cable, in addition to an optical cable? I'm TRYING to get Vice City in DTS. Thanks!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Patrick, the PS2 does not need a "...PROPRIETARY Sony optical cable", but a standard optical digital cable (coaxial won't work) is required for digital audio output.

Howie A

Second Unit
Also be sure to check that the receiver can decode DTS
signals (some only do DD 5.1)and check that when
switched to the LD on receiver that it knows to look
for a digital audio input and not an analog signal.
(mine has a auto detect feature look
for something similar)

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Patrick:
Any Optical cable will do.
Monster sells a somewhat affordable cable for PS2 - $30 for 10 feet, I believe.
Depending on your setup (i.e. distance between PS2 and receiver), you may find optical cable for a better price.
Short story is, however, that you DO need an optical cable for TRUE surround sound. While that's oversimplifying it a bit (you can get Pro Logic II out of regular analog sound cables), it's sorta moot.
Optical = In-Game DTS 4.1 (GTA:VC/SSX Tricky/NHL 2003) + 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS on your DVDs (supported DVDs of course - but that's pretty much every post-Jurassic Park film, plus about half of the ones before JP). :)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replys. I was under the impression that ALL the games were going to output a Digital signal, even if it was PCM DD 2.0 or DPL. In reality, most PS2 games are not in DD. This, and the graphics are where the Xbox KILLS the PS2. Even so, I'm keeping my PS2. I actually found a reasonable component cable for the PS2 yesterday. I got it at a place called FYE in the mall, made by Pelican, & under $10. I also have a regular optical cable hooked up already to the PS2. I won't ever watch movies on the PS2 though. Maybe my Receiver is not picking up the DTS flag on GTA-VC automatically?

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Patrick:
You have to go in and PHYSICALLY set the sound on VC to DTS.
Even if you save a game with DTS sound, it asks again after loading to make sure you want DTS sound.
My guess is they're trying not to destroy speakers hooked to crappy non-DTS receivers. :)
Go into options and click on sound. That should put VC in surround.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Any game should pass sound through the optical cable--even if it is only stereo sound. Just be sure to set-up your PS2 to output a digital signal under the set-up menu (with no disc in the system). For in-game DTS, you must select this through the game's menu system.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replys. I'm going to do some tweaking this afternoon. Hopefully I can get it to go! I thought at least a digital PCM signal would be output. I'll be back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks