What's new

PS2 online per game, kinda bummer (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
That said, I think the potential for cheaters/hacks on PS2 online is being overstated.
You're wrong, Brad. The PS2 has an Action Replay cart. The games will be hacked, just like PSO.

And I'm positive the XBox will have the same issues before someone jumps on my mentioning the PS2.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
or you could get a good video card and play games online the way they were meant to be.
So for my Pentium 166 MMX with 32 MB RAM all I need to do is buy a good video card? :rolleyes:Wow! I did not realize it was that easy. I guess all the System Requirements included on every PC game is all bullshit. And I was worried that I would not be able to play Doom III on my PC. Thanks for setting me straight Josh. :D
Chris

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
To argue that lag won't affect gameplay for all users or that cheating will not happen across all the platforms is rather naive
I never said that either would or wouldn't happen. I know there will be lag, I even said so. I also said it wouldn't be as bad as people think. I've read reviews in magazines from people who got the PS2 online stuff for beta testing who said that some of the games ran rather smoothly. Have I played any PS2 games online with the adapter? No. Have any of the people on the HTF? I'm not aware of any.

I know there will be cheating, but there won't be many things beyond people using GameShark-like cheats to modify their character or how the game runs. If there are, then oh well. I can always find a group of people out there who aren't cheating, like my friends or fellow HTFers.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
*HOST* said:
Absolutely! PSO was one that was really getting bad and if you look to the PC world for one out of many examples you only need mention the original Diablo as a game that was plagued throughout its lifespan with hackers and cheaters who "modified" thier characters and absolutely ruined the fun of those playing legitimate games...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
PSO was one that was really getting bad and if you look to the PC world for one out of many examples you only need mention the original Diablo as a game that was plagued throughout its lifespan with hackers and cheaters who "modified" thier characters and absolutely ruined the fun of those playing legitimate games...
Because most PS2 games will be P2P, you can choose to play with those people or not. If you play a game with someone and they are cheating, then don't play with them anymore. Also, games that will be run off servers (mainly MMORPGs) will be taken care of by the company that owns the servers. Squaresoft is being EXTREMELY strict in it's anti-cheating policy, so much so that if you use a trick to gain more experience points by making it harder for an enemy to hit you (standing on the edge of a cliff that's right above them and then using magic on them is one way) then they will threaten to ban you from the game. I assume each company will do something like this for the games run on servers.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
....and where in my post did I mention that MS would be immune?
I wasn't directing the comment specifically towards you, I was arguing against the general tenor of the thread that MS controlled servers gives them a huge advantage in the war against cheaters. As if Sony, EA, Activision, etc., won't actively attempt to combat cheating. Your quote was just convenient for me to make my point. Sorry, I meant no offense.

Another thing that needs to be considered is that there is a significant barrier to anyone who wants to cheat in a PS2 game online. If it requires something like an action replay or gameshark, then cheating requires and extra purchase beyond the game. $40 is a pretty big barrier. The reason it's so rampant on PC games is that anyone who has the game can apply a hack or cheat for free. Hell, the game could even be pirated. So you've got a person playing a free (stolen) game with a free (downloaded) hack on free (public) servers. Not much to deter someone. With SOCOM you'd need a copy of the game, $60, the network adapter, $40, AND something like an Action Replay PC/memory card interface, $40... I'm not saying there won't be cheaters, but the price of entry alone ensures that there will be far fewer than in CS.

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
ChristopherS...

Are you playing Madden with the Linksys USB100TX adapter? You realize that if you are, you are only playing at 12 Mbps because of the Ethernet to USB handoff? The Sony adapter plugs directly into the motherboard of the PS2 and eliminates any drop in transmission speed due to the direct connect. Also, are you using a hub or a switch or direct connection to your Broadband source? These all factor in - the best set-up would be a switcher running at 100 Mbps with the Sony adapter.

Jason Price

Second Unit
Are you playing Madden with the Linksys USB100TX adapter? You realize that if you are, you are only playing at 12 Mbps because of the Ethernet to USB handoff? The Sony adapter plugs directly into the motherboard of the PS2 and eliminates any drop in transmission speed due to the direct connect. Also, are you using a hub or a switch or direct connection to your Broadband source? These all factor in - the best set-up would be a switcher running at 100 Mbps with the Sony adapter.
12Mbps is many, many times more bandwidth than any current online game could use - it's *plenty* for online gaming. That's the equivalent of 8 T1's, so unless he's got a dedicated T3 or something, his broadband connection is going to be the bottleneck. :)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Im hoping that the developers for PS2 games will make PC based Server software for there games. Like all the PC 3d shooters do with linux. They only release the game for windows but if you want you can download a linux server. So you can play your game on the PS2 and set up your one dedicated server.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Most games are either P2P or are run on servers owned by the publisher, so there's no need to have your own server.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks