PS2 online per game, kinda bummer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GeoffL, Aug 23, 2002.

1. GeoffL

GeoffL Auditioning

One thing that really struck me about PS2 online (Besides being on a slow 56) is the fact that, for each game, you have to "sign" up with that specific service.

If I say buy Madden, then I have to connect to the "Madden" servers. If I connect to NFL 2k3, I have to connect to Sega's servers....

Not only would I have to sign up multiple times, I'd have to pay (if need be) multiple times.

Go Xbox Live.
    BroadBand is the only way to go...

whirley

2. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

True, but X-box Live does NOT have one all-inclusive fee. You pay each month, PLUS any fees that the developer wishes to charge. In addition, I read a preview for Unreal Championship on Gamespy that mentioned Microsoft was "considering" CHARGING customers for extra downloadable content. That totally sucks, especially since UT2K3 on a PC will allow you to get as many levels, user mods, etc. for FREE.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

4. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Man, I'd suggest this post was some kind of MS plant if the argument made wasn't so poorly comstructed and ill-informed. Still, while that kind of commercial information warefare or psy-ops kinda sickens me, I've read too much cyperpunk not to think it's kinda cool too.

Geoff, I'm mostly kidding. But seriously, you can't believe everything you read at Xbox fansites (xbox.com included). As noted above, PS2 online allows for broadband AND narrowband connection (a plus for the millions who don't have access to or can't afford cable or DSL), and doesn't require any service fee. As for having to sign up for different services, it's likely most games won't need more than a nickname and maybe a geographic location to get you going. Developers/publishers are going to make this as simple a process as possible. That's one of the things console gaming is supposed to be, easy.

Oh, and speaking of Madden, you can't get online in the Xbox version...

5. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

There are absolutely ZERO games right now that charge a monthly fee for PS2 online play and there are absolutely ZERO games that do not support broadband service.

And since when is it so bad to have to connect to the servers that a game uses when, more than likely, every game goes directly to whatever server it may need.

What a poor argument...

Sean

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Woohoo! Another Xbox vs. PS2 argument!

Someone pinch me...

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I think I'll wait at least a few months to see how the whole online thing plays out. Plus I'm too lazy to run the Cat5 to the living room. [​IMG]

8. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Try both.
    Or neither.
    Who cares anymore?

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Oh this thread again....[​IMG]
    *Pinches Joel and tries to wake him up*
    Joel please give me a good slap in return and maybe we will eventually wake up from the nightmare that this thread will become.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

We all know that we need to have Combat online. Who's up for wiring up the Atari for Broadband?

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I would love to set up my TG-16 for BB. Imagine Alien Crush Online!

12. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I am waiting to try both, but I believe that Microsoft has the best idea going. Since on ps2 it is peer to peer or servers run by the publisher, there are advantages. No fees(yet). But not all publishers can afford to keep the servers up and speedy all the time for free. Now Microsoft will charge a small fee, but all games that support the online play feature the same basic functions like voice chat and are kept up and speedy to provide the best connection possible.

I am anxious for both now...although I am highly PISSEd that Sony's ideas fudged the online play in Timesplitters 2! AHHHHH!

13. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Tough call.
    [​IMG] On one hand you have a MS with a closed service, specific features that carry accross to each game, for a sense of continuity (like all PSX games using Triangle for 'back') buddy notification, friends list, voice, stats. You have servers up all the time, customer support, etc.
    Everyone is on a broadband connection, play should be much smoother than playing with a mix of 56kers and broadbanders. But you can't create anything and upload it for free, for security reasons. Additional content is either free or could cost you (per game basis) depending on the developer/publisher (BUT, free content will be there, and paying for more content? I know I've purchased Expansion Packs before).
    [​IMG] Then you have SONY, no enforcement of on-line support, it's up to the publishers and/or developers to host servers, track stats, security management, provide downloadable content. The ability to have user created content that you could upload via your PC, levels and skins, etc...and AIM bots, cheats and hacks...total inconsistency with HOW you get on-line and playing with 56Kers and Broadbanders so who knows how spikey the connection will be.
    The Live service is about as AOL 'ish' you can get, where as SONY's method is pure 'Independant ISP'.
    Both have pros and cons, I'll be getting both, but I really like what MS is doing with the Live Service. They are totally behind making it work, just look at the what they are doing, it's a HUGE undertaking.
    See you on-line [​IMG]

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

15. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

18. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

or you could get a good video card and play games online the way they were meant to be. :b

19. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer