PS2 online gets voice chat.. Other then SOCOM

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Howie A, May 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

I was reading thought a OPM and noticed that they mention voice chat via a head set
    will be included as a feature in a few upcoming games.
    I think the few I read about were the EA sports games.

I wonder if this will be something that will catch on by
    most other 3rd party developers?
    Has there been any other new about this topic that any of you know about?

I know that any survey that I took about online gaming that was the one
    thing I mentioned. As I am sure everyone else was saying the same thing.
    It sucks to have to "Trash Type"

It is nice to know they are listening. Now if only they would include the HD
    with a system like we have also been saying..... One can only hope.

2. Joel Hurley

Joel Hurley Stunt Coordinator

-It'll be interesting to see how the next generation of the console wars develops. MS and Sony are clearly the front-runners in trying to reach the masses, so I feel, as many others do, that Nintendo might not be in the console business much longer. I see the big $$ MS and Sony are willing to invest and I think it might nix Nintendo into just a publisher. (Which might not necessarily be a bad thing seeing how great their games are)

-What does this have to do with the SONY headset? I see Sony and developers taking positive cues from Microsoft’s successes (and it's own SOCOM game) and applying them toward the next Gen development as a big plus for us gamers. I think we are on the tip of a big battle for first place in the console wars (and we gamers are the benefactors).
    -I imagine we are going to have the choice of two powerful consoles, each with strong online components (similar but much improved over current MS's Live).

-Some Interesting things that I think will help shape the next Gen are,
    1. Where will developers land over the next two years, such as E.A.? Will they open up to MS or close MS out completely, and will Nintendo go straight developer, and if so might MS or Sony try to get exclusive rights?
    2. Will dedicated servers become more common, and if so will it cost $$$ ???
    3. As some potentially great RPG's such as Xbox’s True Fantasy Live Online MMORPG hit the market will they hook gamers to online systems in a deeper way than the quick play action titles that currently drive the market?
    4. As both Sony and MS strive to develop an all-in-one media device, who will develop the more elements that console purchases will actually want and use?

-I am sure I left out plenty of factors, but these are the ones that jump out at me right off the top,... but feel free rip me a new one if you disagree!
    -Hell of a lot of info derived from one little headset post, I know! I love tangents! [​IMG]

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The upcoming Karaoke Revolution requires a headset to play at all. SOCOM 2 is going to have a better quality headset (I think) with the game, so even if you don't have one now and don't want to buy one (you need the PS2 one, not just any USB one) you can get it with SOCOM 2.

A while ago it was mentioned that more games would use this feature.

4. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

5. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Do people still play SOCOM online? I see that you can get just the game for $40. Is it possible to play online without the headset? Do players use it to coordinate strategy, or just to trash talk? Has anyone heard if SOCOM 2 will ship with a new headset and/or be available as game-only?

6. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Allen: TONS of people still play SOCOM, more than ever, actually, and it's probably the most populated online console game out there right now. There typically thousands of people online at any time.

People use the headsets quite frequently as well. You sometimes get the idiot, of course, but overall it's used pretty well.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I believe Madden 2004 has been confirmed for voice support. Not sure about any others though.