What's new

PS2 => Onkyo TX-DS595 digital audio (1 Viewer)

StevenLockt

Auditioning
Hello,

I have a problem playing DD or DTS sound from my Onkyo TX-DS595 reciever, using my Playstation 2 as a DVD player.

I have had the reciever for just over a year now, but have only recently read the user's guide in any detail to set the thing up properly. While going through the various settings as described in the manual, I noticed that on the display, it always seems to be playing Pro Logic II, and never Dolby Digital or DTS.

I am certain the Playstation is set to output digital audio (from the PS2's settings page), and I have a optical cable going from the PS2 to the optical in on the back of the reciever. When "DVD" is selected, I have the input set as OPT2 (which is the correct (PS2) input).

I have gone through the manual in detail and cannot find a solution. It is supposed to automatically detect DD/DTS sources, which it never seems to.

Has anyone else faced this problem and has a fix? Can anyone more experienced than me help? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance,
Steve

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a common problem. You have to turn on digital audio in the setup menu, then you have to put in a DVD movie to get the options to turn on DTS - certain options are not available when there is no movie in the unit.

StevenLockt

Auditioning
Thanks for the quick reply John.

The digital audio is turned on. I am playing LoTR - Return of the King with Dolby Digital EX 5.1, and the only thing my reciever wants to play is PLII. When I press the "display" button to see what is playing, it tells me it's using an Analog/PCM source, and not the Digital Format source. The only audio source is via the optical cable, the L&R jacks from the PS2 are not plugged in.

Any ideas?

Steve

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Steven, does the PS2 have an audio setup menu? That's where you want to enable the DD and DTS capability. Also, doesn't the Onkyo have an autodetect function in its menu?

StevenLockt

Auditioning
Hello Jack,

The only options in the PS2 menu are for Digital Audio On or Off. I have it On currently. :]

I have the Onkyo set to AUTO detect for the DVD setting. It only seems to choose the PCM/ANALOG input and at best plays it with PLII. Never DD or DTS.

It's odd.

Cheers,
Steve

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Steven, by your own admission you went a year without actually reading the Onkyo's owner's manual. Go back to it and read about setting up that receiver properly. Unless it's just a defected unit, there most certainly is a step you missed. Go back to the beginning and read the thing word for word. JB

StevenLockt

Auditioning
I must admit, I have had this nagging feeling like I did miss something, and I have gone through it many times. I will do so again though, at your recommendation.

I'll report back.

I tried to post a link to the pdf of the manual, but it wouldn't let me until I post 15 times. Maybe soon we'll get to that number.

:]

Steve

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, let us know what you find. Basically, go step-by-step through the Onkyo's setup procedure.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Digital audio must be set to bitstream rather than PCM. PCM is stereo only and will not work for DD, but it will work for some DTS tracks (DTS CDs). The stupid thing is, this setting is in a different sub-menu for some reason, IIRC.

I can look at the specific menu sequence later this evening. It sounds like it is a setting in the PS2, not the receiver. I've used my previous and new slim PS2 with DTS-ES discrete tracks and they work fine.

StevenLockt

Auditioning
Figured it out!

The reciever setting were fine. It *was* the playstation. In the main menu of the console, you can only choose Digital Audio on or off. However, in the OSD that appears when you press select you can choose DTS and DD to be on, the default is off. My problem was that I never looked at that menu because I programmed the PS2 remote into my Onkyo remote, so I never reached those settings (duh).

I have to admit, the sound blew my socks off. I had no idea how good it could sound.

Thanks for your help. It's really appreciated.

All the best,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks