What's new

PS2 on Sony Wega (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
I'm a bit confused as to how to get the anamorphic squeeze to kick in on my TV with the PS2.

I have a Sony Wega XBR400, and I have my PS2 hooked up via component cables to 'Video 6'.

The problem is that even when I setup the PS2's "Screen Size" to 16:9, I never see anything kick into the widescreen mode.

I've also tried setting GTA3 to "widescreen" but I didn't see anything but a full screen image.

What should I set my PS2 Screen Size setup to?

1. 4:3

2. Full

3. 16:9

Looking for help to get the highest quality image possible, thanks.

PouyaG

Agent
Mike,

I have a 36" WEGA and do eactly what you explan whenver I can play a 16x9 supported game. All you really need to do is choose the 16x9/widescreen option in the game (it HAS rto have support...like GTA3, Madden, SOE, etc etc), and then in the WEGA's menu, turn 16:9 mode on. That should be it.

I've also tried setting GTA3 to "widescreen" but I didn't see anything but a full screen image.
As I mentioned above...it does not kick in automatically (at least for my WEGA). You have to go into the TV's menu and choose it.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Although my WEGA auto-senses 16:9 on DVD (on the PS2), for some reason, with my 16:9-compatible PS2 games, I have to manually turn it on.
Kind of a pain, but then again, I don't often use the squeezed mode on my games, because it brings out the jaggies big-time.
Joseph

MikeM

Screenwriter
Ahhhh thanks for the help guys.

I just assumed it was like a standard DVD player, and could auto-detect a non-progressive signal, and automatically kick on the 16:9 mode.

Manually turing it on, isn't too bad. Thanks again for the help.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I tried this out and it worked fine in Madden 2002, but I do have one major question:
What is the benefit of playing the games in widescreen on a 4:3 TV that has the 16:9 mode?
I didn't think any games were "enhanced for widescreen", so it seems more like just losing a bit of real estate from my 4:3 setup. (And that's some crucial real estate when throwing a long bomb in Madden!) ;)

PouyaG

Agent
What is the benefit of playing the games in widescreen on a 4:3 TV that has the 16:9 mode?
There is no benefit, unles your 4x3 TV happens to be a WEGA, which has the 16:9 enhanced mode. ong with getting the anamorphic aspect ratio (try it out, you can see your recievers in widescreen mode), the image looks, much, much nicer IMHO. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
If you have a memory card, which you absolutly should, once you set the game to 16x9 and save it, it should automatically be set next time you load the game, then all you have to do is switch your VVEGA's setting to 16x9 Enhanced.:)
GT3 looks absolutly mind boggling in 16x9!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks