What's new

PS2 lower price (1 Viewer)

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Definitely not before Christmas, anyway. There are plenty of people out there willing to pay $200 for it as it is.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Sony drops the price on PS2 in Japan this month. Not the USA. The price drop starts today or tomorrow.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Several little birds have been hinting at SOMETHING going down with the PS2 on black friday. This may well be individual retailers, or it may be a bundle or a drop.

Luke D

Agent
the reason I brought this up is when the PS2 dropped to $199 I heard they will also price drop it again in November. I think I herd this on a news broadcast.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Doesn't mean much since I already have one....but that would be good those without.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I've owned an XBox since launch, and have longed for a PS2 sor the GTA series. I must say however, Looking in the ads I see the PS2 with a controller, or an XBox with a controller, two games, and a remote for the same price. PS2 just looks cooler with how it's always posed standing up.

I wonder what the average consumer's take is when they open up an advertisement. Do they go for the bundle, or the "futuristic" looking system? Do they have aprehensions due to the fact that XBox looks (dare I say desperate) with the free extras?

I wonder....

Steve Clark

Second Unit
I do not see the PS2 dropping in price until the XBox does, which should be during the slow part of the sales season early next year. Since the XBox seems to really be hyping the bundle this holiday season, expect retailers and Sony to follow with similar type bundles. As others have mentioned, Sony does not need to lower the price at this point and can afford to be in a kind of follow the XBox price mode.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I think rumors of a price drop in the US sprouted from the Japan price drop, which I cited a couple of days ago. The same thing happened with the Xbox and a UK price drop a few months ago. People hear a vague rumor about a price drop and just assume that it refers to their region.

The price drop I mentioned did come to pass:

(from Gaming-age.com)

"Out of nowhere this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment cut the wholesale price of the PlayStation 2 in Japan by 3,000 yen. This upcoming Thursday, PLayStation.com Japan will begin selling the console online for 24,800 yen (about $204 US).
The cut reflects increased production yields in machines made for the Japanese market and a desire to ensure strong sales in the key year-end holiday season, an SCE spokesman said. The spokesman added there were no plans to cut the price in North America or Europe."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks