What's new

PS2, is the S-Video connector worth it?? (1 Viewer)

Dave Reichert

Stunt Coordinator
I only use it for the games, I've got my Pioneer DVC302D handling the movies. With the current crop of games out there, will I notice any difference in picutre quality using the S-Video hookup?

Joe Rosiak

Agent
Real Name
Mr. Wizard
Forget the S-Video Hook-up, go with the Componenet (RGB) hook up that I bought. I noticed brighter colors and a bit smoother picture with it on my 55" HD Ready TV. If your TV does not except RGB, I had an S-Video hook up with the PSX that DID make a difference on my Proscan 27" TV. It all depends on how picky you are. I am not sure how much the S-Video cable you are looking at is, but I saw a monster cable version of it a Best Buy for I think $30 - $40. That is the only way to go. So You Gota ask your self...... are you anal about your picture Punk??? :)
If so....... Go Get it!!!! It's not outragously expensive, and you will notice at least a small diference.

Hugh M

Second Unit
as far as a general comparison of svideo to composite cables/connections there is a pretty noticeable difference there. svideo for sure.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
You'll definitly see a difference using s-video.
I'll never go back to composite again.
When I upgrade my TV I'll get one with component inputs, they do what s-video does only better.
But s-video is definitly recommended over composite, it all depends on how important picture quality is to you.

In general, S-Video just provides a noticeable difference in clarity and color. In some cases, you can notice specific things.

For checking the difference between composite and S-Video, use the following two titles:

Final Fantasy IX: With Composite, run around the world map for a little bit. When you switch to S-Video, you'll notice everything looks clearer - clear enough to produce a dithering effect!

SSX: You should notice that with S-Video, the text appears smaller and sharper - likewise, the rotating SSX symbol during loads can be nearly half the size!

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks