PS2, is the S-Video connector worth it??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Reichert, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Dave Reichert

Dave Reichert Stunt Coordinator

I only use it for the games, I've got my Pioneer DVC302D handling the movies. With the current crop of games out there, will I notice any difference in picutre quality using the S-Video hookup?

2. Joe Rosiak

Joe Rosiak Agent

Forget the S-Video Hook-up, go with the Componenet (RGB) hook up that I bought. I noticed brighter colors and a bit smoother picture with it on my 55" HD Ready TV. If your TV does not except RGB, I had an S-Video hook up with the PSX that DID make a difference on my Proscan 27" TV. It all depends on how picky you are. I am not sure how much the S-Video cable you are looking at is, but I saw a monster cable version of it a Best Buy for I think $30 - $40. That is the only way to go. So You Gota ask your self...... are you anal about your picture Punk??? [​IMG]
    If so....... Go Get it!!!! It's not outragously expensive, and you will notice at least a small diference.

3. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

as far as a general comparison of svideo to composite cables/connections there is a pretty noticeable difference there. svideo for sure.

4. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

You'll definitly see a difference using s-video.
    I'll never go back to composite again.
    When I upgrade my TV I'll get one with component inputs, they do what s-video does only better.
    But s-video is definitly recommended over composite, it all depends on how important picture quality is to you.

5. Richard Knight

In general, S-Video just provides a noticeable difference in clarity and color. In some cases, you can notice specific things.

For checking the difference between composite and S-Video, use the following two titles:

Final Fantasy IX: With Composite, run around the world map for a little bit. When you switch to S-Video, you'll notice everything looks clearer - clear enough to produce a dithering effect!

SSX: You should notice that with S-Video, the text appears smaller and sharper - likewise, the rotating SSX symbol during loads can be nearly half the size!

Richard