What's new

PS2 hookup (1 Viewer)

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a PS2 system for the family for xmas. I am curious as to the best way to hook it up. I have a Marantz SR7000 receiver and a Mitsubishi 55807 HD television. Just to get the kids up and running I used the front RCA jacks on the tv with the cable that was supplied with the PS2. The PS2 has a toslink and an S-video connection. Am I correct in assuming these would be better? I hope there's a better way because the audio/video quality is worse than I had expected. Thanks, Eric

John Royster

Screenwriter
Use the optical output of the PS2 into your receiver. I believe most games are recorded in pro-logic.

You can use composite, s-video, or component for the video portion. I use s-video because I have so much other gear with component that need it. using s-video instead of the composite (single yellow plug) will make you wonder why you hooked it up that way to begin with.

hope this helps. The PS2 has a "A/V adapter" plug on the back, you can buy different adapters depending on what you want. I believe it comes with a composite adapter.

When you hook up the toslink optical you'll have to go into the setup on your PS2 and tell it to output digital. Good luck and enjoy the sheer ectasy that is PS2 on a big screen/HT.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Hey Eric, I also had a PS2 hooked up to mY SR-7000, it is now hooked up to the Marantz SR-9200 :b Anyway, yes, the best connection by far for audio is the toslink optical cable. Monster actually makes one specifically for the PS2. The sound is awesome! There are more and more games coming out in DTS and Dolby Digital. NHL 2002 is DTS during gameplay! Just leave your receiver in auto mode. And if you have an HDTV you should have component inputs on the back of your tv. If you are not using them for anything else, hook up your PS2 with component cables. The picture is amazing! Monster also makes a set of component cables for the PS2. Have fun!

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
I have my PS2 hooked up the my Mits 46809 using the component video cable. All of my S-video jacks are taken up by other components, so component was the only option.....not to mention that it provides the best picture quality.

I also use a Monster Lightwave 200 optical cable to run from the PS2 to my Denon 4800. More and more games are coming out with DD and DTS in them that this is a required thing. But I also have the PS2 hooked up to my TV directly so at night I can play without the HT system on.

Check eBay for the component video cable, I paid $10 + shipping for the Sony brand one.....it retails for $35 in the stores.

I have a AR s-video PS2 cable for sale if you are interested in that.

Let me know

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Stupid question, I have a receiver and speakers I recieved for x-mas that isn't hooked up yet and I was wondering how I was going to hook up the ps2. Will any optical cable work, or do I need one made for the PS2?? Also, Is that the only wire you hook up?? I currently have it hooked up to my Wega via the monster cable s-video. I think the only way to hook that up to the receiver is on the front video connection.

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I figured out that the digital optical cable is for sound only. So all I do is hook a digital opitcal cable from the ps2 to the receiver, then I can just use the s-video jack on the front of my receiver for the video? I would just leave the l and r audio cables unhooked since I am using the digital optical cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks