What's new

PS2 Hardrive (1 Viewer)

Oscar_R

Second Unit
The imminent release of Final Fantasy whatever next week got me thinking about the PS2 hardrive attachment. Wasn't this the first game to officially support it? What's it supposed to do? Please someone tell me something else besides faster loadtimes...... it costs nearly $150 in Japan! When's it being relelased here?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Its pretty much like the X-Box HDD, only a little slower, you actually install games onto it to reduce load times instead of just using it for temporary storage, and won't be widely supported.

FFX uses it for temporary data storage by installing the game onto it to reduce load times, but not for saving.

It was supposed to be out in November, now in January, now the spring, AFAIK.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Does one have to have a hard drive to play FFX, then? Or is it more of a nice feature than a necessity?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Info about the PS2 hard drive:
Link Removed
I believe it will be optional, but I haven't heard much about the hard drive in recent months.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The HDD is only slower because it is not built-in like the X-Box one. It will still run fine, especially since it goes inside the unit.

I think the modem is actually a 56k and Ethernet card in one and plugs into the back of the console and keeps the HDD inside, just like the piece that is there does already.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The HDD is only slower because it is not built-in like the X-Box one. It will still run fine, especially since it goes inside the unit.

Uhhh...physical location of any hardware in relation to what it connects to really doesn't have any effect on speed (unless we are talking having it on a cable that exceeds the maximum length allowed by the device).

Inside or outside does not matter...all that matters is the rotation speed and what kind of board it connects too (are they using the firewire or USB, hopefully not USB)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Inside or outside does not matter...all that matters is the rotation speed and what kind of board it connects too (are they using the firewire or USB, hopefully not USB)
Exactly. The RPM is what matters here (along with as mentioned connection). The x-box I believe runs at 5400rpm (I could be wrong though). I have not seen any specs on the sony drive yet so we will have to wait and see. In all honesty I dont see Sony releasing anything higher than 5400 for cost reasons.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
From what I've read a 7200 RPM hard drive makes the Xbox overheat real quick like.

As for the PS2 hard drive the external model is only for Japan. All the US PS2s have an open bay for the hard drive expansion. In either case I believe it actually uses a PCMCIA interface (like found on laptops). Not USB or Firewise, I don't know what kind of speed limitations, if any, will be posed though. On the plus side the PS2 HDD will be a 40 gig job. Pretty good, if you ask me.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to make my own soundtrack for the next Gran Turismo game. If they do that with the HD, I'm sold!

James D S

Screenwriter
Does qanyone know if they plan to offer a bundle package with the harddrive and FFX? That would be their strongest upcoming title to use the HD and would offer their best chance at maximizing HD installs.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
James-

They were going to, I think, but since the HDD isn't ready, I doubt it. It probably would have cost around $500 anyway.

The HDD is rumored to be a minimum of around $100.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
I can buy a 40 GB, 7200 RPM hard drive today for $90. I don't see how a single game and a 40 gigger 5400 RPM drive would add $200 to an already inflated PS2 price tag. They don't even have to put the PS2 harddrive in a fancy case like the external version in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if next year they start selling PS2s exclusively with the hard drive and network adapter at the $299 price point. It would go a long way towards combating MS's HDD/NIC argument if suddenly the PS2 had ethernet, a modem and a hard drive five times larger than the Xbox at the same price.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I can buy a 40 GB, 7200 RPM hard drive today for $90. I don't see how a single game and a 40 gigger 5400 RPM drive would add $200 to an already inflated PS2 price tag. They don't even have to put the PS2 harddrive in a fancy case like the external version in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if next year they start selling PS2s exclusively with the hard drive and network adapter at the $299 price point. It would go a long way towards combating MS's HDD/NIC argument if suddenly the PS2 had ethernet, a modem and a hard drive five times larger than the Xbox at the same price
Ya, and then give me the HDD and Ethernet adapter for free, since I've already bought the console.

If Sony dare's to include the HDD+Ethernet for $299.99($450CDN) and then go on ahead and charge $200 extra if you're buying it seperatly, I will be one very, very, very pissed off customer.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The HDD will probably be around $100, the ethernet modem is $40, and a game would be $50. So $200 for all 3, plus the price of a console, would make $500. $300 for PS2/HDD/Modem would be stupid since they would be losing even more money.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
The Sony Hard drive is already out in Japan, yes? No? If yes, how much is it selling there and does it have the ehternet with it?

Jeff Chiusano

Auditioning
I can buy a 40 GB, 7200 RPM hard drive today for $90. I don't see how a single game and a 40 gigger 5400 RPM drive would add $200 to an already inflated PS2 price tag. They don't even have to put the PS2 harddrive in a fancy case like the external version in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if next year they start selling PS2s exclusively with the hard drive and network adapter at the $299 price point. It would go a long way towards combating MS's HDD/NIC argument if suddenly the PS2 had ethernet, a modem and a hard drive five times larger than the Xbox at the same price.
The recent PS2 sales numbers show strong support for the Sony gaming console even with the launch of the XBOX and GC. IMO, Sony will take that to mean that they can charge enough so that they don't lose money on add-on peripherals like a HDD or ethernet adapter. Will they offer a bundle that includes both of these? I think they will eventually. Do I think it will be offered at the $299 price point? Not anytime soon. If and when a standalone PS2 is offered at a $150 price, then you'd probably see a bundle with the ethernet adapter and HDD for $299 or less.

The PS2 price tag may seem inflated compared to the new technology offered by MS and Nintendo, but the fact remains that, even now, they are not making money from platform sales. Losing more money for an optional add-on (optional from a software development standpoint), when hardware add-ons have not proven to be successful in the past, would be a bad business move. I feel pretty confident that the PS2 console price will drop after the new year, but probably only by $50. We'll just have to wait and see.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks