PS2/GC/Xbox - And Progressive output (poor PS2)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Hess, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

OK, for those of you lucky enough to have all three consoles, you might know what I'm talking about. Now granted, not all Gamecube games support progressive (though all the Xbox games do 480 by default). The other day I was playing Devil May Cray and some THPS3 on the PS2 on my new Panny 47" using the 'JUST' mode (sort of like a 'zoom' feature to fill the entire screen (to avoid playing in 4:3), and it just looked bad compared to games like Halo and Rogue Leader. This is NOT to bash the PS2, I play mine all the time. I suppose I'm just spoiled now :

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Rogue Leader, Pikmin, and SSX Tricky for GameCube with component cables really do make any PS2 game look bad. Its kinda sad. My best remedy is to sit far back or play a game with really good AA so it doesn't look so bad.

Haven't played an X-Box in the Scootplex, but if the GameCube is any hint (and seeing as how it is better), it will be amazing when I finally do.

3. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I'd rather not move my couch each time I power the PS2. It's really too bad that SONY did not include Progressive Scan (though I'm sure cost was an issue back then). It really does give an edge to the MS and 'N' if and only IF the games that support them rock, it is after all about the games.

4. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

I have all three consoles AND the Dreamcast and I understand what you are saying. I had the PS2 hooked up to my 46805 Mitsubishi and I'm sorry but the graphics are just so Jaggy that I hooked it up to a smaller TV.

5. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

The PS2 in 16:9 mode on my 36XBR450 looks damn good.

6. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I have a 65" Toshiba HDTV and I can also notice a much improved picture with my GC and XBox over the PS2. It's hard to miss jaggies with a picture that big. IMO, I will buy only exclusive titles now for the PS2 and buy titles that span all three consoles for the XBox. DD and HD, what more could you ask for?

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'm of the opinion that the lack of progressive output is very often used as a strike against PS2 games when, in reality, it's the lack of graphical effects in use in the game (most likely AA).

Set up your Xbox or GCN to play a progressive game in interlaced mode. There is a noticable difference but it's not nearly as vast as this forum makes it seem.

8. derek

derek Second Unit

Well...SEGA Dreamcast had progressive VGA output a year before PS2 was released. Sad to see Sony so shortsighted (say that 7 times fast.) [​IMG]

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The difference between interlaced and progressive will depend largely upon the tv. On our Mitsubishi, there is a huge difference between interlaced & progressive. On the Toshiba, not so much.

-Dave

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

11. ThuanVu

ThuanVu Stunt Coordinator

I'm using DVDO Iscan between TV and PS2, and it's significantly reduce the jagging

It really depends on the build-in the scaler/deinterlacer per TV manafacturer

12. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I'm very aware of the technological merits of each platform.

All I'm saying is on MY HDTV's (one 47"RPTV and one 32"DV), the GC and Xbox games that support progressive look BETTER. Higher resolutions and true 16:9, games just look killer. Sure there are games on the GC that do not support it and well, to me, they look worse than those that do.

So the titles that support FSAA and have nice textures on the PS2, don't you think that they would look better using progressive? I thought so.

As I said, it's about the games. Sure DMC looks 'bad' on my RPTV blown up to fit the screen and jaggy as hell, it's still damn fun, it looks way better on my 32" than the 47".