What's new

PS2, GC, and X-Box can exsist together!!! (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
After reading threads that all turn into pissing contest on which console is better, I decided to post this thread.
I think we are all in agreement that this is a great time to be a gamer. The PS2 finally has some great games coming out and it looks like there will be two successful console launches within 3 days of each other in November. The X-Box already has a fan base and Nintendo will carry over it's fanbase from their previous consoles.
I just recently succumbed to the power of Sony and bought a PS2, I will also be picking up a Gamecube on launch day. However, I will be holding off on the X-Box (just not many games I want right now). We all know Sony isn't going anywhere, and I hope Nintendo and Microsoft succeed. Why you may ask? Because we, the gamers, will benefit. Competition will be greater and that means better games. I personally think there is room for 3 consoles. Also, it helps that SEGA is going to develop for all systems. I also believe you will be seeing more exclusive lock-ups like Nintendo did with the Resident Evil series. If Sony was smart, they would lock-up Metal Gear and Silent Hill, I believe they pretty much have the Final Fantasy series all locked-up. Microsoft should try and lock-up some big game series as well. I am loving this time and I personally can't wait for the Gamecube and the X-box. Competition is a good thing, especially in the game industry. Now everyone quit the pissing and moaning and go enjoy some damn videogames.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
While I agree with you Dean I can see some merit in debating the benefits in all of the systems, just not in every single thread. A lot of people will only be able to afford one system this or next year. Hell by the time I'm all said and done buying everything for my Xbox launch day I will have a $900.00 bill (Canadian). I'll be lucky if I could convince my wife to even look at a GC after that let alone let me buy one :). The debates help the fence sitters out there that fall in the same boat as me so seeing fans defend their systems in debates most of the time helps with gathering information. The problem is that right now almost every thread goes off topic and ends up becoming a debate. Its really tempting to cause this when you see a thread become one sided to the other systems and I'm sure it will stay like this as the launch dates get closer. I suggest that we all try to contain ourselves and create new threads when we get this temptation to go off topic in a thread just to defend our favorite system :) That way we can still enjoy the debates but not ruin every thread with the same pissing match.
Dean
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on October 01, 2001 at 12:02 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
How about we start a new rule that we can only say the positive things about consoles?
I'm kidding. Debate is good, but it gets bad when it goes into every thread. I suggest that we try not to provoke debates by posting things like "this console is going to be better because" even if that is what is on our minds. This way, we can still talk and such and won't get into arguments.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Ill be picking up a Gamecube on launch day simply for Rouge Squadron II and Luigi's Mansion... but I gotta admit, X-Box's specs are VERY impressive when compared to PS2 and GCN. Ill take a wait and see approach - I highly doubt Microsoft will lack support in the long run.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Already have a PS2, plan on getting a GCN this fall, XB next year.
The GCN, PS2, and XB are all equal in my mind when it comes to games since they are all focused at different groups and share many titles. I could care less about capabilities. The N64 was more powerful than a PSX yet the PSX had more excellent titles and lived longer, which just shows how unimportant slight differences in power are. The only thing I'm basing my decision to get a GCN before an XB is that Nintendo will have more games that appeal to me at launch and around Christmas. I am still impressed by the XB and the power that it has. I can't wait to play it in my HT, but I'm gonna have to pass for a while.
What is my point? The consoles are all equal in my mind and only differe by little bits that are usually unimportant. They can and will all coexist in my home.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I'm with Morgan on this one.
eek.gif
wink.gif

I've already got my PS2, will be picking up a Gamecube as soon as it's out, and I am still on the fence on the XBox. I think I'll probably be picking one up sooner or later, but that's what I've got to figure out: Sooner? Or later?
I imagine that by next Christmas at the latest I'll probably have one. But, then again, that depends on a couple of things: How many quality games are out for the PS2 and the Cube at that point, and how many exclusive games are only available on the XBox at that point?
I'm a big Star Wars freak-boy, so any exclusive Star Wars game(s) that any system may have are going to be a big draw for me. The reason I bought the PS2 on launch day last year was that at the time, Starfighter was supposed to be out around a month later, and I wanted to make sure that I had a PS2 to play it on (it didn't come out until several months later, but that didn't sour me on the other PS2 games like Madden that I was enjoying). I've been planning on getting a Cube for months; however, take Rogue Leader out of the equation, and then I wouldn't be too sure about the Cube, at least right now.
So the XBox, with the now-exclusive Obi-Wan due out soon and Galaxies due out sometime next year, is looking fairly appealing to me right now. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Already a PS2 owner: just preordered my XBox yesterday.
I still feel that the XBox will be the 3rd place holder in this upcoming war but, I like the age demographic it's shooting for better than The 'Cube.
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Users who are viewing this thread