PS2/Gamecube surround sound?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Andrew O'Brien, Dec 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

I see that some games indicate that they are formatted in Dolby Digital. I'm thinking of a setting up my kid's game room with surround sound speakers . I note that one can buy cheap PC speakers with a sub-woofer that also are marketed as "game system" surround sound speakers.

Question: How do they hook up to a Gamecube or Play Station II? The Curcuit City salesperson told me that I need a optical digital cable. That doesnt make sense to me in that the speakers designed primarily for PC suuround sound, usually do not have optical digital connectors. So, how do I get surround sound with PC-type speakers and a game system?

Andy.

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Very few games from PS2 or Gamecube are presented in Dolby Digital (I don't believe any games on GC offer Dolby Digital). They only offer Dolby Surround 2.0 soundtracks. Almost all XBOX games, however, offer Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks and several have very complex mixes.

As for PS2/Gamecube, you would still have to hook it up via an optical cable to a reciever to get sound.

3. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

As for PS2/Gamecube, you would still have to hook it up via an optical cable to a reciever to get sound.

That part is wrong, you can use analog, as GC does not even offer an optical output.

4. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

Just because a game or movie is labeled Dolby Digital does not mean it is meant to play in 5.1 channels. Dolby Digital comes in various formats, anywhere from 1 channel up to 5.1 . The most common Dolby Digital is 2.0. I've even seen DD1.0 (mono) and a few DD4.0.

Most game cube games are optimized to play best in Dolby Pro Logic 2. You do not need a optical cable.

5. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Extra

In fact, there is no digital audio output whatsoever from a GameCube. It's RCA red & white cables only. Despite that, the sound can still add a lot to gameplay (e.g. Metroid Prime) assuming your setup can properly handle Dolby Pro Logic II (or even regular pro logic, as mine does).

6. Justin_T

Justin_T Stunt Coordinator

Some PS2 games do have 5.1 sound during the FMV sequences, but NOT during actual live gameplay, unless it's a dts game in which it may have 5.1 dts. That's rare though. XBOX has 5.1 pretty much during the whole game which I love. The GC only has an analog hookup I believe.

7. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

Kevin there is no "analog" outs for audio for the ps2 unless its in stereo only.
    I bought a unit from

www.midiland.com the ads 4000 and hooked it to my amps. it works great

8. Matt __C

Matt __C Auditioning

The PS2 does not have a built in Dolby Digital decoder so it a receiver that has a optical input and games only have Dolby Digital in cutsences. The rest of the game only has Pro Logic II or stereo.