What's new

Ps2 Dts??? (1 Viewer)

AndyRD

Auditioning
Currently my DVD player is a Playstation 2 I am unable to get DTS sound out of movies. My reviever is a Pioneer VSX-D811S, and I am using a digital optical cable to connect my PS2 and reciever. While playing Vice City I can get the DTS light on my reciever to come on and the sound is awesome. During movies, however, I cannot get this light to come on, even after selecting DTS mode via the DVD's menu. Is anyone aware of the PS2's DTS capabilities? I have an all Paradigm speaker setup, 2-Esprit for my fronts, a CC-170 for my center, 2-Atoms for my surrounds, and a PDR-12 subwoofer. This is all in my small 10'x15' room in my fraternity house. The sound is amazing and will pound your chest, however I would like to be able to watch movies in DTS format. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

andy

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I don't have any problems getting DTS out of my PS2. I use it as my primary DVD player. Which DTS movies are you trying to watch? Make sure you are selecting the DTS soundtrack from the audio menu, since most titles do not use DTS by default.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You have to turn the digital out on in the setup menu then insert a movie, go into the setup menu (for the PS2, not the disc) and turn DTS on. You can only do this with a movie in, AFAIK.

AndyRD

Auditioning
To answer both of your replies, I am sure that I am selecting the DTS format from the DVD menu. Also if I didn't have the digital out turned on in the PS2's setup menu I wouldn't get any sound. The optical cable is my only audio link between my PS2 and reciever. Any more ideaas?

andy

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I haven't poked around the settings on the PS2 but maybe there is an option in outputting the digital out for movies specifically. It has to output Stream or PCM. Can't remember which exactly is needed so u may play around as to which one will work. This is usually the case with stand alone DVD players.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
What we think you're missing is specifically turning DTS on in the PS2's menu. The setting you would want would be Stream, otherwise the player would just convert everything to stereo PCM

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I already answered your question. If you don't put a movie disc in, there is NO DTS OPTION to select in the PS2 menus. You need to go into the setup menu FOR THE PS2, NOT the DISC, once you have inserted a movie disc with a DTS track, and turn DTS on.

Try a search in the game hardware forum, this has been covered many, many times.

In order to get DTS, you must also set it to bitstream.

AndyRD

Auditioning
I already answered your question. If you don't put a movie disc in, there is NO DTS OPTION to select in the PS2 menus. You need to go into the setup menu FOR THE PS2, NOT the DISC, once you have inserted a movie disc with a DTS track, and turn DTS on.
I am sorry, but I have done both of those things. I have turned the digital out on in the PS2's menu, and also selected the DTS track from the disc's menu's. Still, the same result no DTS. I have gone into the PS2's menus with a disc in and without a disc in, and no change in the menu's. If you have any more advice please let me know, but your posts havn't helped me thus far. I have on question also, you said that I must "set it to bitstream", I do not know where this setting is, please give me some more information on where I can set this.

thanks,

andy

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
He's not talking about the main PS2 setup menu. There is a separate setup menu for movies that only shows up when you have a movie inserted. Follow these steps to find it:

Turn on your PS2.
Insert movie.
Once movie starts playing, either hit DISPLAY on your PS2 remote or hit SELECT on your PS2 controller.
Highlight the SETUP icon.
Go to AUDIO SETUP.
Turn DTS on.

If that doesn't solve your problem, I don't know what else will.

Rudy

AndyRD

Auditioning
If that doesn't solve your problem, I don't know what else will.
Thanks alot, that was where my problem was. It kinda sucks because I have to do that everytime I want to run DTS on a movie. But hey, it works and I am happy.

andy

AndyRD

Auditioning
I am not sure, but I turned the PS2 off, and then placed a different DVD in later and had to go back to that menu.

andy

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I had to manually set dts and dolby digital to on every time I inserted a disc. Then I installed the new dvd player 2.12 that came with the dvd remote and settings are remembered.

BTW, the new dvd player that came with the remote has less compatabilty problems. I had a few disc that skip with the old dvd player that the new one has no problem with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks