PS2 - DTS discussion......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonKrol, Dec 11, 2001.

1. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

Hello,

I recently read an article that seemed to explain how PS2 is able to do in-game DTS for certain games like NHL 2002 and SSX Tricky. I would like to discuss your thoughts on this.

Basically in a nut shell, what I read was that PS2 has 2 main processors, and that in order to do in-game DTS, one of them is exclusively used to perform the DTS stuff. Thus, the games themselves may suffer because they dont have as much processor power to rely on for game processing stuff, like AI, graphics, etc.

The point im trying to get at is, would you sacrifice small amounts of graphics enhancements for in-game DTS? I noticed in SSX Tricky that sometimes the gameplay would get choppy and slow, just for a second. And I couldnt help but wonder if it was because I had DTS turned on. If this is so, that kind of sucks....

(FYI: by no means do I mean to sound like an expert, this is just my personal opinon. Please dont flame me if Im wrong with certain aspects of my explanation.)

Thanks!!!!

2. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I think it's cool that someone bright came up with a way to get DTS on a machine that supposedly couldn't do anything like that.

But, the PS2 is at a definite disadvantage to the XBox, as far as sound goes since the Xbox dumps all it's sound processing onto a chip made just for that. Nothing is lost in either the graphic processors or the main cpu.

As you mentioned, in the PS2, part of the graphics processing horsepower is going to be sacrificed to do sound. What kind of tradeoff this is going to be is going to depend on what kind of game is being made. If it's real graphics intensive, I would think that you'd need all the help you could get so, giving up half of the PS2's graphic guts, just for sound probably wouldn't happen. The tradeoff would be too great.

It's something the game designers will have to weigh on every game they do if they're considering surround sound. Do you sacrifice one of your graphics chips to do surround sound or, do you just run the standard sound and keep both vertex processors up and running for graphics.

As for SSX Tricky, (great game btw), I don't think it would matter much if they left out DTS surround. The original would sometimes get a moment of frame chop, here and there, and there was no surround sound.

3. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

It isn't fair to typify the amount of processing juice DTS takes up as half of the PS2's power. It's not the case where there are 2 processors and one does DTS and the other everything else. In the PS2 the CPU has 3 co-processors aside from 128 bit mips 10k core. The fpu and the two vector units. One of the vector processors is tightly coupled to the graphics subsystem and is best suited for that kind of operation. The other vector unit is more general purpose and this is the one that does the realtime DTS encoding. It's a significant resource allotment, but it by no means represents half of the juice that's there. As far as I know it isn't standard practice in most PS2 games to have both vector units doing nothing but graphics operations, though you could if you wanted to. But the PS2 is supposed to be flexible, the developer prioritises and assigns cuputational resources accordingly. And it's not like without the 2nd vector unit transforming geometry the graphics will look like garbage.

4. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

hey, thanks for the information. again, i wasnt trying to bash a possible flaw in the design of the PS2. I love the ps2!! I just mentioned what I understood..and I appreciate you explaining it further to me. I definitely understand more now!!

thanks!!

5. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

As of now, nobody really knows how EA is doing the encode of DTS on the PS2...
    My personally guess, concurs with Brad..
    Electronic Arts is *probably* using the VU0 vector processor to encode DTS...
    AFAIK,in a good amount of PS2 titles sofar(expecially the ones that aren't physics/AI intensive), the VU0 is idle most of the time and would have more than enough computational overhead to encode DTS and *still* have cycles left to spare(after all, DTS encode is about an order of magnitude less demanding on hardware than Dolby Digital encode)but this is just a guess on my part......
    Then again, EA could be using the Emotion Engine's MIPS R5900 core + the IOP for all we know[​IMG]
    The PS2 is flexible like that [​IMG]

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

So Brian..
    Does that conformation mean we can expect to hear DTS sound in Terminator PS2?[​IMG]
    BTW...how is that game coming along???
    Due out anytime soon??

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Brian, is the Terminator game a FPS? if so i just hope you guys can get the frame rate at a solid 60fps, makes a huge difference as far as i'm concerned. Timesplitters may not look as detailed as Red Faction but the smooth gameplay more than makes up for it.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

I saw the preview. It looks pretty cool. ' Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

12. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

I would if i could find somewhere that sold it here in the UK!