What's new

PS2 connection options - SVideo, Component... (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Currently, I have my DVD player hooked up to my TV with S-Video and my PS2 attached with just composite (the cable supplied).

Now that I know I can do better than composite (for PS2), I'm going to pick up either an S-video or component cables.

Here's my question: because my TV has one set of component inputs, do I have to choose between PS2 and my DVD player, or is there some sort of 'Y' connector that will allow me to plug both into the TV.

Same question with S-video...is it possible to hook up both PS2 and DVD somehow, or must I make a choice as to which one I use. Is there a 'Y' adapter for S-Video?

You guys who have both PS2 and DVD, how is yours set up?

Thanks!

Jon

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just get an S-video switcher. Substitute the audio plugs for component if you wish to go that route. I have the Pelican switcher which has neat little replaceable labels above each switch (Xbox, PS2, DVD, etc... choose from 8).
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=188629&mscssid=U8RRW5E3H4QA8J8C2PLEHSHDN3490B66&ref=1&PromoCode=&site=&siteID=
The Xbox and GC are using component while the PS2 and DC are on S-video, all are going through that box.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
You could also use a standard A/V composite switch box with Component cables, with no signal loss.

That's what I've been using.

Do a search for component switch boxes.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you get a switcher (like the one pictured above) and use the video and 2 audio ports for the 3 component video signals for the sources you should be fine.

Or you could use a Y-connector. But that might degrade the quality and could only fit 2 signals (you might want to add more later).

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
OK...if I don't want to go the switcher route, I assume it's OK if I just use the components for my DVD and the S-Video for my PS2?? Leaving everything hooked up like this won't cause any problems, will it?

As a side note, I'm satisfied with both my DVD video quality, using S-Video, and my PS2 video quality, using standard composite connection. But then, I'm always looking to improve things. Will I really notice a difference?

Thanks to all,

Jon

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I use component for my DVD and S-video for my PS2. From what I've heard, unless you have a big and super high quality display, it's hard to notice the difference between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks