PS2 connection options - SVideo, Component...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Currently, I have my DVD player hooked up to my TV with S-Video and my PS2 attached with just composite (the cable supplied).

Now that I know I can do better than composite (for PS2), I'm going to pick up either an S-video or component cables.

Here's my question: because my TV has one set of component inputs, do I have to choose between PS2 and my DVD player, or is there some sort of 'Y' connector that will allow me to plug both into the TV.

Same question with S-video...is it possible to hook up both PS2 and DVD somehow, or must I make a choice as to which one I use. Is there a 'Y' adapter for S-Video?

You guys who have both PS2 and DVD, how is yours set up?

Thanks!

Jon

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just get an S-video switcher. Substitute the audio plugs for component if you wish to go that route. I have the Pelican switcher which has neat little replaceable labels above each switch (Xbox, PS2, DVD, etc... choose from 8).
    http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=188629&mscssid=U8RRW5E3H4QA8J8C2PLEHSHDN3490B66&ref=1&PromoCode=&site=&siteID=
    The Xbox and GC are using component while the PS2 and DC are on S-video, all are going through that box.

3. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

You could also use a standard A/V composite switch box with Component cables, with no signal loss.

That's what I've been using.

Do a search for component switch boxes.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If you get a switcher (like the one pictured above) and use the video and 2 audio ports for the 3 component video signals for the sources you should be fine.

Or you could use a Y-connector. But that might degrade the quality and could only fit 2 signals (you might want to add more later).

5. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Here is an inexpensive component switcher at Etronics: JVC Switcher

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

OK...if I don't want to go the switcher route, I assume it's OK if I just use the components for my DVD and the S-Video for my PS2?? Leaving everything hooked up like this won't cause any problems, will it?

As a side note, I'm satisfied with both my DVD video quality, using S-Video, and my PS2 video quality, using standard composite connection. But then, I'm always looking to improve things. Will I really notice a difference?

Thanks to all,

Jon

7. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I use component for my DVD and S-video for my PS2. From what I've heard, unless you have a big and super high quality display, it's hard to notice the difference between the two.