1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PS2 Component Video?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aaron Silverman, Jan 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Hi gang,

I have been using S-video for my PS2, but just got a 55" set with component video inputs. Would it be worth getting the component video cable for the PS2? I only use it for games, not DVDs, so I'm not sure whether there would be a noticeable difference.

Anyone been able to make a comparison?

2. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Sweet! I didn't realize that the PS2 had that capability. (I bought it a loooong time ago.)

4. Demetri K

Demetri K Stunt Coordinator

I was just looking at the list and some of the ps2 games that are mentioned are wrong. For example wipeoutfusion does support prologic2. Little things like that. BTW back on topic an oldie but goodie with progressive scan is Tekken 4!

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Two questions:

I purchased my PS2 a looong time ago, shortly after they came out. Are the older systems capable of prog scan, or do they require modification?

Also, are all prog scan games enabled by holding X and Triangle when the system logo comes up? Or are there other methods?

Thanks!

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I don't think the early Playstation 2s supported progressive scan for DVD playback, but I am not sure if this extends to games with 480p capability as well.

Regards,

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    I just spoke with Sony customer service. Apparently, only the 50000-series PS2 systems, released just in the past few months, will run games or DVDs in prog-scan mode. Old systems are not upgradeable. Lame!!! [​IMG]

They also said that there is no upgrade program.

8. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

I was refering to games only. And all PS2's should do it.

Sean

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    It's possible that even the old ones support progressive scan for games, but I can't confirm it since mine is only a month old. Even with the new ones there are differences in the video output for games vs. DVDs. For instance, in the set-up menu for games, if you select component video out, you can choose between "Y/Cb/Cr" and "RGB". For DVD, RGB is not an option.

Also, there is no selectable progressive scan option in the game set-up menu like there is in the DVD set-up menu.

Regards,

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Well, I guess I'll just have to decide whether to open up the $13 cable I got and try it out, or return it. [​IMG]

Now, what I really need is that #()$*# Nintendo cable. But that one's three times as expensive!

11. Bill MacAdoo

Bill MacAdoo Stunt Coordinator

Who's selling 'em for $40? Nintendo themselves only charge $30...

12. BriaN*F

BriaN*F Auditioning

I had purchased my PS2 about 3 1/2 years ago or so. I got my Panasonic 53 inch HDTV widescreen last year and I tried my PS2 via Monster Cable(component)and Grand Turismo looked like $hit! [​IMG] Honestly I thought Iw as playing GT2 on PS1. It looked terrible. I checked the set-up mune and I had everything set-up right but it looked so bad I disconnected the PS2 and re-connected it up to my old 32 inch tube TV. I didn't know you had to hold down butons to turn on progressive scan in games. My PS2 probably isn't new enough to do this though. It just really sucks not to be able to play my PS2 on the widescreen. Several friends have told me it's because the TV's resolution capability far exceeds the PS2s's and that's why it looks so bad. Now my Xbox and Gamecube both look great, even before I ran them both without component, just the standard A/V cables (red, yellow, and white)that come with each system. Waht do you all think?

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Whoops, my bad on the cable price. [​IMG] Nobody but Nintendo sells them (unfortunately).

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Brian, does your TV have a built-in upconverter? My new Mitsubishi does (although I haven't had a chance to use my consoles much since I got it).

15. BriaN*F

BriaN*F Auditioning

My panasonic is a 53 inch HDTV widescreen. It only does 480p and 1080i. I eventually will be getting a tv that does all the inputs: 480i,480p,720p, and 1080i. There are a few out there, although they are a bit expensive, but when I do that I will sell off my 32 inch RCA floormodel(its like brand new but a few years old) and my 2 Panasonic 53inch HDTVs, yeah we have two(one in the living room and the other in the recreation room, hey I got both brand new for $3500.00 about 13 months ago, not bad...and thats with the extended 4 year HH GREGG service warranty(the warranties were like $400.00 each)....man a 65 inch HDTV with 480p,720p,1080i with a built in decoder sounds REALLY nice!