What's new

PS2 - Component Video Worth It? (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Hi,

Is there any value in getting the optional component video cable connector for the PS2? I'll need to buy a switcher if I do, but I'll get it if it's worth it.

Thanks!
Martin.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I wish I could answer this right now. Unfortunately, my PS2 is hooked up to my HDTV set with the regular A/V cable, and the component cables are stuck at my folks' place in Ontario. I'll post a follow-up when I return from my holiday visit. Maybe someone else can offer his/her feedback in the meantime....

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It depends on how old your PS2 is. Only newer models can do progressive scan. (I actually have the cable, but have never hooked it up since my PS2 is one of the oldest models.)

Check the serial number on your PS2 and give Sony a call. They should be able to tell you whether your system is capable of prog scan. (If you bought your PS2 new within the last year or so, then you can be pretty certain that it can do prog scan.)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I have one of those new thin ones... currently under the Christmas tree. I know it does Prog. scan, since I downloaded the manual.

Now, do the games take advantage of the prog. scan, or is just a bob/weave sort up upscaling? If the latter - my Faroudja based projector will do a better job anyway. Maybe s-video would be enough?

Thanks!
Martin.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Actually, all PS2s (SCPH-30001 and up) can run games with progressive scan support (480p); some of these titles include Prince of Persia: The Sands Of Time, SOCOM II, SSX 3 and Tekken 4. Not all games support progressive scan though.

Progressive scan support for DVD movie playback was first offered in the SCPH-50001 (the model number of the redesigned PS2, aka PSTwo, is SCPH-70001).

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Ken and Aaron,

Thanks for the info! Hmmm... still not sure if it's worth it, however. I guess only I can decide that. I'll hook it up with the crappy composite connected, get disgusted, and go from there! :)

Martin.

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Anything is better than the composite cable that comes w/ the PS2. You'll see a big jump in quality with S-Video alone, which is what I'm currently using. If you can get the component cable for cheap on ebay, do it. Or else, just get a run of mill S-Video cable to replace the composite cable.

I bought a monster PS2 component cable from ebay a while ago, tried it a few times on friends' TV sets w/ component input. NICE!

/me weights in whether to get HDTV or Meridian CD Player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks