ps2 cables and hook ups (X1)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by andy_brehm, Nov 17, 2003.

1. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

hey all. i just recently ordered a infocus x1 for dvd and ps2 use. right now i am still using the composite cable out of the box for the ps2 but i know that there are s video and component connections for the ps2. when i get the x1, i have a couple of options on hooking everthing up and i was wondering if you could advise me which would be the best. okay, now to get started....

i have a jvc progressive scan dvd player (not sure of the model number right now, i can get it later if it helps) that i have hooked up to my yamaha rx-v1000 reciever which is then hooked up to my panny rptv all via component cable.

when purchasing the x1, i also got the component to vesa adapter. no here is where i have some options. i might keep the dvd player hooked up to the reciever instead of a direct connection to the projector so that i can buy a component cable for the ps2 and hook it up to the reciever through a D-TV or whatever the other component input is on the back. then i can send a single component signal to the projector from the reciever.

my other option is to hook the dvd player directly up to the projector via component cable, then buy a s video ps2 cable which would probably go to my reciever then go to the projector through the s video monitor out.

my question is, which setup would give me the best picture quality from both sources? with a larger picture (100") i want the best signal sent for the best picture but im not sure what way is the best to go about that.

also, on a side note, should i send a progressive video output from the dvd player to the projector through the vesa adapter?

thanks

andy

2. andy_brehm

ok, that makes sense.

could you tell me if this would achieve the same thing...what if i hooked my dvd player up to my reciever via component cables and my ps2 up to my reciever via S video then run a single S video cable monitor out from the reciever to the projector? would that give the same effect? im just curious because that not only saves me $15 but it also allows me to hook two things up to the projector through the S video input.

i guess i was wondering if something would be lost running the dvd signal through component cables then through S video... then if there would be any weird things happen if i switched from progressive to interlaced using this setup.

one last thing, im assuming that there is and advantage by buying a S video cable for the ps2 to run into the reciever correct? i guess it might be subjective, but im hoping it would be better then running a composite cable from the ps2 to the reciever then S video from reciever to projector.

as always, thanks!!!

3. andy_brehm

my reciever has a composite, S video, and component output. i guess if i cant convert signals that narrows my options, either S video for the ps2 and component for the DVD or S video for both. i guess i could run composite all the way for the ps2 but im kinda scared of what the quality would be like on a 100" screen.

thanks for the help

4. andy_brehm

well, to start off, i will be pretty close to the screen. hopefully when i move this summer i will get a place that has more room so i can move back, but right now i will be sitting about 8 feet back of the screen.

so if composite looks good on your screen, would you say it would be worth spending the extra cash for a S video ps2 cable or shoud i just keep the composite?

thanks