What's new

ps2 blue disc (1 Viewer)

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a first gen ps2 (waited in line for 9 hours) and now for some reason about half the time it won't read my blue discs it plays every dvd disc but just reads disc error or not a p2s disc on every one i've tried enyone else have this problem? my friend has a first gen ps2 and his does the same thing. i got the mew mod chip but it did it befor i even got it and my friend dosen't have it so probally not the problem

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
Sounds exactly like the problem that I and many others have had. You can try going to Sony Technical Support:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Suppor...ce/default.asp

My unit was out of warranty, but they still fixed it for free. If you've opened the system for a mod chip though, I wouldn't count on them fixing it free. There is a FAQ for fixing the laser yourself, but I'm no longer sure where it is.

Sean

edit: I notice that you live in Canada. So that may change your situation even further.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like the infamous Disk Read Error (or DRE). I think Gamefaqs has a FAQ or two about how to fix it. I've heard of everything from using the Blaze lens cleaner, vacuuming the fan area, opening the PS2 up and changing the voltage to the laser, and so on. I've got a launch day unit and have never seen a DRE, I think my number will be up soon.

The Gamefaqs boards are full of people claiming that you can call Sony to bitch about your busted PS2, and they'll replace it regardless of when you bought it. I'm not so sure about that...

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I've been getting pretty used to seeing the disc read errors myself. Early gen PS2. Sometimes an actual power cycle (using the power on the back) seems to help.

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Call Sony Customer Service. They are authorized to repair/replace first generation PS2s that experience this problem for free. I had the same problem and had no trouble getting a replacement a few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks