PS2 as DVD player

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ScottyH, Aug 8, 2006.

1. ScottyH

ScottyH Agent

So i just picked up some Klipsch synergy F3 speakers yo audition and in the middle of my first DVD my player kicks the can. I am saving up to buy a nice new blue ray but for now im using my PS2. So couple of questions. 1) Will using the PS2 have that much of a difference in the sound because it is hooked up directly to my TV instead of through my reciever? If so how can i hook it up through my receiver? I have an onkyo s790 7.1 ht reciever. I tried to hook up the ps2 through the video 3 input on the front panel of it but no luck, unlessmy hook up from my reciever to my dvd is wrong and that is how it should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Scotty - it's quite likely that your TV will be unable to pass DD5.1 sound, so I wouldn't recommend running audio through your TV. Here's how to connect your system:

Receiver -> TV, Component Cable (for future use or connecting other consoles)
    PS2 -> Receiver, Component Cable
    PS2 -> Receiver, Optical Audio Cable

This will provide the highest level of video and audio quality available from your PS2.