What's new

PS2 and Widescreen TV - Left 1" is black (1 Viewer)

Eric Lipp

Agent
I am playing my Playstation 2 on my Toshiba 56H80 Widescreen TV. For some reason, the left approximately 1 inch of the screen is black. It doesn't matter if I hook up through composite, component...whatever.
Obviously, movies and TV work just fine, and it seems like the right side of the screen is where it should be.
Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
The reason the bars are there are to protect the games against the 5%-10% overscan present on the majority of televisions. From some of the Usenet threads I've read, it does sound like it's the right side where the bars are most prominent. I would've expected them to be roughly equal to the left and right of the image.

Eric Lipp

Agent
Adam,
This is what I thought at first, but, if that were the case, why would the right side of the screen be correct? It would also show up like that on movie, wouldn't it?
Maybe my Playstation is just crazy.

~Eric

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Eric: Likely, the right side of the screen has slightly more overscan than the left.

Think of it as your TV "Framing" the picture and cutting the sides off in doing so.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Yup, it's overscan. I've got that issue with my PS2 on my Mits - oh well - ISF guy basically told me I'm SOL.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Some games will actually let you set the screen position. I'm pretty sure you can do this with composite and S-Vid signals, but the Component signal MIGHT be locked up as far as the screen goes.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I get the exact same thing on the left side of my Mitsubishi RPTV with my PS2. My TV has been calibrated to minimize overscan for movies and I'm positive that's why I have this. It's strange that it only happens on the left side since my overscan is set to exactly the same % all the way around.

Luke_Lemmings

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same thing on the left side of my 51HX83.

I think it has something to do with all PS2 consoles.

Anyone have more info regarding this?

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I get the exact same thing and I've got an X-box hooked up to a Toshiba 65h80. Not every game has the left bar, but most do. I too have had my TV professionally calibrated.

Peace,

DM

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You said it's a widescreen TV. Are you forcing the image to stretch? In that case, then it's a little bit of a blank space that is being stretched to the size it's at. My TV always has some blank space on the left side, and stretching the image would make it appear much more prominent.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Correct. And it's not just the PS2 - most older systems will exhibit the same behavior. Even some Xbox games do this.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks