What's new

PS2 and online gaming question. (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Link Removed
My question is will you be able to play online using a standard 56k modem?
Here is the paragraph that my question is based on:
"The Network Adaptor package also includes introductions to several online carriers, including AOL, Earthlink, AT&T SBC, and Sympatico, although several other service carriers can be used. To our knowledge (this was announced at E3 2002), players can watch four online game demos, including Madden NFL 2003, Frequency Online (with four songs available to play online), TimeSplitters 2, and Tribes: Aerial Assault. Buyers need to have a PS2, an 8 MB Memory Card, a Start-up disc, an ISP, and an online connection, using DSL, cable modem, or similar connections."

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
My question is will you be able to play online using a standard 56k modem?
For certain games, yes. Not every title will support modem play. And the titles that do may limit the number of players in a game involving modem to modem play to help bandwidth.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'd recommend getting cable/dsl as well. Once you go with it you can never go back...

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
My only complaint with cable/dsl is it's a bit pricey. I'm used to paying $9.95 a month for internet access. Is there a dsl service that is inexpensive?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
No, but if you're paying for a second phone line for internet access, you'd be able to cancel it. DSL works on your regular phone line, and Cable uses your cable tv service.

In my area, it's actually cheaper to have a cable modem than it is a second phone line and dialup access.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
My only complaint with cable/dsl is it's a bit pricey. I'm used to paying $9.95 a month for internet access. Is there a dsl service that is inexpensive?
I look at it this way - how much is your _TIME_ worth? The delta between cost of DSL & 56k is 20-30 bucks or so, but you save SOOO much time between dialing up, hanging up, slow connections etc that I think it pays for itself many many times over. I pay $100 a month of DSL and it's still worth it (I have a 384k SDSL line for hosting...)
If I ever moved somewhere where I couldn't get DSL, I'd either not move there in the first place (I checked DSL before moving last time) or I'd get a fractional T-1 next time. I mean, I really feel fast internet access is _that_ worth it to me. I can buy more bandwidth - just can't buy more time. :)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I 100% agree with Dave. I find high speed internet so essential that it was one of the conditions in my purchase agreement for my present house. I have zero interest in ever returning to dial-up. I have even looked at Direct-PC (satellite - what is available from Bell sucks!) for my cottage and I am only there on weekends.
Chris :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
We have a phone line with DSL and a wireless network for 3 computers. The price of 3 slow 56k connections compared to 1 fast DSL is in favor of DSL.

The network adapter for PS2 has both 56k and ethernet slots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks